Pics of the new dive boat (we hope)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregoire:
I just wonder how long it will be before one of our Darwin award cannidates give me a chance to get that... I mean get in that boat :D
Might not be that long.

We got the word this morning from the Sheriff.

"You guys know what you want and need so do what you want and need to".
YAHOOOOOOOO It's ofically ours.

Now to rig it. You guys are welcome to pitch in on the idea market.

Gary D.

teknitroxdiver:
What all do you need to put on it? Tanks, line handling, surface supplied.....?
Once the SS system is worked out the rest will be positioned around it.

We have the tank area figured so 10 can be heated while another 10 won’t be. They can rotate into the heater area.

Looking at a 5000# Cascade system in the future for both filling and surface supplied. A couple of submarine air tanks will fit nicely below deck.

A small generator (2000w ><). And an inverter on a battery bank

Almost all the dive gear will come onboard with the divers.

Weight is not a problem other than where it’s at. Size is a bigger concern.

Things are subject to change, daily ;^)

We have had vans in the past that we just didn't like. So we will set this thing up as a dual purpose vehicle, boat and van. Why have two set up when one will do the job. This is a recovery setup not rescue so we can take our time for the most part.

Gary D.

Congrats on the boat Gary!! Time to bust out the county checkbook and buy that SS and all the other gear you need for that boat! Have all the counties put their dough in the pot?

Gregoire:
Congrats on the boat Gary!! Time to bust out the county checkbook and buy that SS and all the other gear you need for that boat! Have all the counties put their dough in the pot?
I just spend the $$. The bid goes out tomorrow and should be around $60K for what we want with the two fish, 30 and 400 meter HD cables.

The Sheriff said all but one out of 12 counties have given the go signal. We will be cautious in the spending and build most of what we need in-house. It's nice having an aluminum welder on-board and she's good at it.

Gary D.

Thats a lot of zeros :D But split up between the twelve counites its not to bad. Ours better be one of them! How availible are you guys gonna be? Are all your divers to be trained in operating the SS?

Gregoire:
Thats a lot of zeros :D But split up between the twelve counites its not to bad. Ours better be one of them! How availible are you guys gonna be? Are all your divers to be trained in operating the SS?
Had this boat not come up it would have cost about double of what it is. Someone upstairs is on our shoulders.

The plan was to use our 28' - 10' wide boat but that was going to be a pain. Fast boat but way to big to be transporting all over the country. It is simular to this one (the blue hull on the right) only a lot bigger: http://www.almarboats.com/2004/content/sounder.php

I think you guys are on board. But I can't see us turning anyone away. The co-op group might have first access but I think everyone, with in reason, will have access to the service.

As far as everyone being trained, Yes. A main team will be the primary but everyone who wants to will learn it. You need to remember that we are down to 7 divers inhouse and one from an outside agency.

If we go with just the SS it will be a team of 2. IF we go with a recovery team it will be a team of at least 4. That makes our area real short handed.

Gary D.:
A couple of submarine air tanks will fit nicely below deck.
Gary D.

A buddy who used to deal with those sez they are 21' long
and 24" in diameter.

A. Make sure it will fit.

B. Hydro it. One that was being used as a cascade system
blew a couple of years ago. I think it was at Tobermory, but
that's a very vague memory.

Originally Posted by Gary D.
As far as everyone being trained, Yes. A main team will be the primary but everyone who wants to will learn it. You need to remember that we are down to 7 divers inhouse and one from an outside agency.

If we go with just the SS it will be a team of 2. IF we go with a recovery team it will be a team of at least 4. That makes our area real short handed.

It won't be to bad if you only send out 2 divers. I would supose that would be the modus operandi unless the county you were going to didnt have a dive team, or a team not qualifed to make the dives.

Whats the status of getting new divers? Do you just want to hire locals or are you after any qualified diver? What are your standards for hiring a diver?

We take most people that want to volunteer, but we wont let them in the water if tehy are deemed unqualified for the job. We also get put through DR-1 as soon as possible. I missed my chance to go this summer (son had medical problems) but the next time they have one close I will take it, but for the most part now I'm support :D

Gregoire:
It won't be to bad if you only send out 2 divers. I would supose that would be the modus operandi unless the county you were going to didnt have a dive team, or a team not qualifed to make the dives.

Whats the status of getting new divers? Do you just want to hire locals or are you after any qualified diver? What are your standards for hiring a diver?

We take most people that want to volunteer, but we wont let them in the water if tehy are deemed unqualified for the job. We also get put through DR-1 as soon as possible. I missed my chance to go this summer (son had medical problems) but the next time they have one close I will take it, but for the most part now I'm support :D
Your forst paragraph is right on.

Our team is all in-house with exceptions. All are full-time paid LEO's or FD. We are allowed 10 from our in-house which have to be from the Operations Division. Corrections Deputies are not allowed to apply.

We have one from CdA City PD and none from the FD's. We have 3 open slots to fill from within our own ranks. There has never been a limit on the number from other agencies because it has never been an issue.

Other than being a diver or be able to be trained there are some strict guidelines. Must be off probation. A must have is a take home vehicle equiped for running code. Thats easy for us as we all are issued cars. For me I have two right now because I wrecked mine last week and I'm in a spare.

The gear must match ours with some minor flexability. Non Smoker, period! A given is be on call 224-7-365 and have an understanding family. Twice over the years I have walked out on Christmas dinner, that's hard on the families. And the biggest and toughest one; be voted in by all. One no vote is an all no vote.

There is some other stuff but that's it in a nut shell.

Waterways stripped all their stuff of the boat so it's looking better every day.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom