Pics from Sombrero Island 9/11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
OK, first off, what did you use to calibrate the white balance? a white slate or the sand?...was the sun behind you or in front?

i use a white slate to set the white balance. as for the orientatiion of the sun i dint really pay much attetion. this is good info for me bec i always thought that i had to use the flash to bring out the colors of my subjects, as for thw WB i thought i always had to calibrate this. i can even experiment as you had with using auto wb, some members here even suggested i use the cloudy wb. anyway il experiment more over the weekend.

calypsonick:
As far as I understand it, Spoon, you use manual white balance when you are using ambient (natural) light only. What WB does is try and compensate in areas where it detects some red and makes up for the fact that reds and oranges are diffused as depth increases.

With the strobe, on the otherhand, the amount of water between you and the subject is negligible and the reds come out with the artificial light from your camera.

Now, if you calibrate your WB to add reds and then you use the strobe, you are getting a double whammy red effect. The WB will add red to the reds you are getting with your stobe.

So, short answer - don't use WB when you use artificial light (strobes).

wow! thanks know i understand, i was never taught this hehe, guess its all trial and error! thanks and cant wait to experiment this weekend:)

Beside the red in your pictures for which Lisa and Nick already gave you all what you need,
you have some real good pictures. Composition is good so need only some practice. Like your macro.

I am shooting RAW so the white balance is done later when I down load.

Ciao

Azotomix:
Beside the red in your pictures for which Lisa and Nick already gave you all what you need,
you have some real good pictures. Composition is good so need only some practice. Like your macro.

I am shooting RAW so the white balance is done later when I down load.

Ciao

thanks, too bad my camera doesnt have raw. ilike i even know what that is:)

justleesa:
This is just a quick fix...I reduced the saturation and then played with the levels a bit

wow that looks like a totally different pic, howd you retouch that?

justleesa:
Do you have photo editing software?

just got the latest edition of photoshop. for a beginner it looks pretty darn intimidating. too many functions and tools to manipulate the pics. i guess like everything trial and error is the key:) might sign up for a course in photoshop sometime soon,

See if you can find this in your program.

When you work with the level, go to the drop down list and work on the colors (red, green, blue) individually.

And it's true...you just have to play around with it till it works for you.

Also always work on copies, not on your originals - they are, so to say, your negatives and you don't want to screw those up :wink:

justleesa:
See if you can find this in your program.

When you work with the level, go to the drop down list and work on the colors (red, green, blue) individually.

And it's true...you just have to play around with it till it works for you.

Also always work on copies, not on your originals - they are, so to say, your negatives and you don't want to screw those up :wink:

your a lifesaver lisa! what would i do without you guys:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom