Cozumel color correction experiment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look forward to seeing the video 🤙

Thanks for the feedback, 1fspeed. It's always appreciated.

The first video hits the internet on Thursday of this week. I'll post a link here.

But first, I've got a little one-day diving trip to Catalina Island to tackle. I hope to film a Garibaldi or two.

The "blue mode" on the lights is probably far too blue to match the ambient light which your WB is set to.
Exactly. the "Keldan Technique" is predicated on the color of the light from the lights being the same color as the ambient light having gone through some meters of sea water. This allows the WB in the camera to adjust simultaneously for the ambient and the artificial light. Nice trick, but not easy to implement.

Need a little clarification - are you using ambient filters on your video lights?

I'm actually interested how these work at depth - since shallow obviously it's just ambient light (real ambient - from the Sun ^^).

Matan.

Practically speaking I find it easy to adjust the red tint of white light in post-processing using the color dials for Lo-Mid-Hi ranges. Easier and more practical than trying to match ambient light at different depths using the keldan technique. The results are acceptable for amateur shoots.

The focus hunting is something I had read affects both the LX and Olympus TG range, hence I stuck to GoPros and DJI Actioncam3 for videos (and avoided purchasing the other mentioned cams)…

Need a little clarification - are you using ambient filters on your video lights?

Matan, while the technique calls for the use of light filters, I don't need them. My Big blue lights include blue LEDs for this purpose. I can turn white video light into blue with a button push. But, to fully answer your question, tomorrow on my dive off Santa Catalina Island, my camera rig will include a red filter behind my WWL and be emitting blue light.

And, here's the footage. (Feel free to skip past the explanatory parts. My YouTube viewers are typically non-divers and explaining tthings seems to keep them engaged. )

The camera comparison shot was interesting - GoPro and the LX10 ? - Some really nice color on Palancar. Makes me want get back to Cozumel - it's been nearly 30 years!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom