Physics question from DM exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the OP referenced the PADI DM exams, I went to the book. Here is the actual question (DM physics exam A #6):

An object weights 100kg/125lbs and displaces 100 litres/2 cubic feet of water. Disregarding the minimal displacement of the lead, how much lead weight do you need to make it 20kg/50lbs negatively bouyant in sea water? (round to closest kg/lb)

So while the english majors in class may have given the correct answer to the OPs misquotation of the question at 50 lbs, the correct anwer to the original question he misquoted is indeed 53 lbs.

There seems to be two mind sets for approaching this problem.

There's a difference between "Make something 50 pounds negatively buoyant" and "add 50 pounds of negative buoyancy".

Those who feel that those two statements mean the same thing.

Those who approach it from a different angle and feel that the question just wants you to add 50 lbs of lead.

I can see it both ways, but ask me the same question over a period of time and I'll answer it with the first statement 9 times out of 10.

QED Close post. Every one is happy.

Since the OP referenced the PADI DM exams, I went to the book. Here is the actual question (DM physics exam A #6):

An object weights 100kg/125lbs and displaces 100 litres/2 cubic feet of water. Disregarding the minimal displacement of the lead, how much lead weight do you need to make it 20kg/50lbs negatively bouyant in sea water? (round to closest kg/lb)

So while the english majors in class may have given the correct answer to the OPs misquotation of the question at 50 lbs, the correct anwer to the original question he misquoted is indeed 53 lbs.

Let's tally the score.

English Majors: 1
Butchers of the English language: 1

Next round!

Wow I finally won an argument (I think), wish I could do the same; just once, with my wife...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

The next round:
Johnny has 3 apples. If you beat the **** out of Johnny and take away 50 of his apples, how many of his apples have you taken away?

The answer is 50. Not 53.

If Johnny only has 3 apples how can you take away 50? If you beat Johnny and take away his apples you are only going to have 3 apples. Where did the other 47 come from? Is it possible Johnny started out with 53 apples and the person who beat him took 50 of them, leaving Johnny with 3?

:argument:

Good lord 2 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again!:deadhorse:

The fact of the matter is. All of you who anwered 50 lbs. got the question wrong and will have to retake the test.

Wow I finally won an argument (I think), wish I could do the same; just once, with my wife...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

My fiancee is in law school...
At least whenever I lose arguments in the future I can always say "I didn't lose because she's my wife, I lost because she's a lawyer."

:D

The next round:
Johnny has 3 apples. If you beat the **** out of Johnny and take away 50 of his apples, how many of his apples have you taken away?

The answer is 50. Not 53.

If Johnny only has 3 apples how can you take away 50? If you beat Johnny and take away his apples you are only going to have 3 apples. Where did the other 47 come from? Is it possible Johnny started out with 53 apples and the person who beat him took 50 of them, leaving Johnny with 3?

little Johnny is also carrying a sack that contains a dimensional vortex that leads to an Apple orchard. Even though he is only carrying 3 Apples (well, he was until you beat the **** out of him), you can access additional Apples via the dimensional vortex he is carrying.

Were I going to beat the **** out of him, I would have let him keep his 3 Apples and just steal the sack containing the dimensional vortex. But not you. Oh no! You just wanted the Apples. Must be some kind of fruit lover I guess.

:)

:dot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom