Physics question from DM exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has been pointed out - it's just a reading comprehension issue.

The regulator price example is a great way to rephrase the problem to illustrate this. If a regulator costs $200, by how much do you need to increase the price to add $50 to its cost. Answer: $50.

Good job!

It's all in how you percieve the problem. Not how you want the problem to work, as somebody would like you to believe. :D

IF this were a real question (written by a real a-@#& of a test writer, I might add), it would be presented this way specifically to mess with DMs and Instructors, who by nature of their training would automatically default to Archimedes and go straight to working out the math. The wording is close enough where those who are familiar with these questions (again, DM/Divecons/instructors) will simply skip over the language, in this case, to their unfortunate demise :)

Those who aren't previously trained probably needed to parse the language more closely in order to fully understand what was being asked, and as such noticed that the literal question asked something completely different than mathematics.

From that perspective, it is an excellent question. It tests your ability to realize what you ACTUALLY see, versus what you THINK you see.

Personally, I'd rather be surrounded by people who respond based on what they see, rather than what they think they see :)

From that perspective, it is an excellent question. It tests your ability to realize what you ACTUALLY see, versus what you THINK you see.

That's why this is specifically the type of question they ask on the law school application exams. I don't think it would be a particularly useful DM exam question, but if you really wanted to bust the curve, it's one way to go.

Personally, I'd rather be surrounded by people who respond based on what they see, rather than what they think they see :)

Trust me, you don't :)

NudeDiver: "Hey buddy, do you know what time it is?"
Guy1: "Yes."
NudeDiver: "..."
NudeDiver: "What a jerk."

NudeDiver: "Hey buddy, do you know what time it is?"
Guy1: "Yes."
That's a perfectly reasonable response. He answered the question asked. Had I wanted to know what time it is, I should simply ask, "what's the current local time?" :)

That's a perfectly reasonable response. He answered the question asked. Had I wanted to know what time it is, I should simply ask, "what's the current local time?" :)

Wow, if you're really being honest, I may know a few irascible attorneys who are looking for marriage prospects that won't end in exasperated divorce :D

I suppose in this particular instance I will be willing to admit that I read the question wrong.

I'm usually the guy who answers "Yes" to the "Do you know what time it is?" question.

Re: Johnny and taking away 50 apples. In the original post it says "Johnny has 3 apples...." It doesn't say that Johnny ONLY has 3 apples. IF he has at least 50, one could properly say he "has 3 apples" (he does) AND one could take 50 apples away from him.

The perfect lawyer answer.
Also the perfect deposition answer. Long ago I learned when giving a deposition to answer the question asked, and nothing else. It drives some lawyers crazy. :D

Back
Top Bottom