Photoshop CS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
ROFL. Hey...I've only got an 'old' C5050....how do you think I feel when I have to read everyday about all the folks and their flashy new cameras? :D

Please...buying camera is fun but buying a new software for no good reason is not fun at all :eyebrow:

Kim:
ROFL. Hey...I've only got an 'old' C5050....how do you think I feel when I have to read everyday about all the folks and their flashy new cameras? :D
At least you aren't $12,000. in the hole this week. That's what my upgrade just cost me.

OE2X:
At least you aren't $12,000. in the hole this week. That's what my upgrade just cost me.

Well........don't flood it! :eyebrow: (I hope you have insurance!!)

Is that 2 bodies+ accessory or one body and one housing with ports?

OE2X:
Has anyone upgraded to this? If so want to tell about it?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/adobephotoshopcs2/page5.asp

I think Phil does some of the best reviews on digital products avaiable.

I basically have NOT decided to upgrade to CS2, and will wait for CS3. I would have to agree with Phil's conclusions that someone who is running PS7 should DEFINATELY upgrade as CS was IMO one of the best upgrade products Adobe has down with 16 bit RAW support and Shadow/Highlight options that are great.

If one is running CS currently, the CS2 upgrade is less thrilling with some cool stuff, but nothing that is a Must have in my book. I believe that CS2's pin registration is like CS, and it can be run on two computers. If you want licenses on more than two, plan on aditional licenses which I believe can be purchased for much less than a full version, but am not sure about the details or pricing.

As for the RAW support this has little to do with CS2 but rather with Nikon, and the D2x (maybe the D70s, can't remember). Nikon has encrypted part of the RAW file that allows control over WB (critical IMO). For those shooting in situations where Light is controlled and falls within the range of easily managed WB, then for a majority of the images, WB RAW control is not such an issue.

For those that shoot in mixed lighting (indoor areana's without flash and Mecury lights is a good example, or UW) one will have to process RAW images with Capture, which is a good product in that it does what it does well, but also as some have stated is a resource hog, and adds additional workflow.

My computer slows down considerably when runing view and PS against RAW images, so I tend not to. I have an Athalon 64 chip with 1mb of RAM, and a solid Graphic ATI card, so my puter is not screaming, but hardly slow. Both PS, and Capture are resource pigs.

As to the 12K, what the heck did you buy? D2x/housing? 2D2x's and some stuff. Curious minds are interested....

I'm interested to know how you like the D2x, but I think I already know what that answer will be. Most who buy one, are not longer statisfied with anything else as a backup. :eyebrow:

For $12 K I got:
one D2X,
4 Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig cards,
About to purchase a Nexto CF Card reader with 100 gig drive,
Apple G4 15" Laptop with 1.67 Ghz: 100 gig internal drive, 2 gigs of ram, apple care 3 year program,
2 - 250 gig external drives,
1 Firelite 100 gig firewire portable drive
A few hundred $$$ of different program updates - excluding CS2.

For a while I thought I had gotten a lot, but when I look at the list, it looks like nothing at all. At least there is a huge learning curve going from film to digital. That will make me feel like I got a lot for my money. :D

The housing and stuff - I'll leave that to you guys who are pros. For the time being I'll be happy hefting :D around my P&S Nikon 7900. I have an Aquatica with Ikelite strobes for one of my F5's if I ever need to haul around a beast.

I am very disappointed! $12,000 and no housing! Geez OE2X, you better get your priority straighten out :D

RonFrank:
I'm interested to know how you like the D2x, but I think I already know what that answer will be. Most who buy one, are not longer statisfied with anything else as a backup. :eyebrow:
When you pay this much $$$ for a bloody camera body of course the buyer is going to like it. :D
Lets put it this way, it's going to be used on a week long pro shoot in three weeks. It and I had better get to know one another really well by that time. With how much my clients pay me, I can't afford to blow a shoot because I'm unprepared. If this shoot goes well, I'll be buying a second one shortly after that for back up. My primary will be bungied around my neck though and my backup will be slung over one shoulder.:wink:

Hey Ron, I'm getting old and with the amount of travelling I do, I need a case that can carry two bodies, 5 lenses, laptop, batteries, hard drives, CF card reader and a bunch of other expensive junk. I'm looking for a roller case that can hold all of that and still be taken on as carry on luggage. I have to fit all of that stuff in one carry on, since my other bag is either a 400 f2.8 or a 600 f4.0 lens. Any ideas? The Tamarac really doesn't have any space for the laptop, nor does the Lowe.

Hey, guys,

Many thanks to all for the good tips and knowledge! I almost simultaneously came up with a brochure and two manuals that I have to produce, and the camera was a requirement.

Thanks to to some really great suggestions and help from Caveseeker7, who is a real pro, I bridged the film-to-digital gap without too much trauma.

Siempre, muchas gracias, amigos!

Rob

Back
Top Bottom