Photoshop CS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30:
I am very disappointed! $12,000 and no housing! Geez OE2X, you better get your priority straighten out :D
I do.:D
When I'm top side I breath photography the way I breath 32% underwater. Sometimes it feels good just get away from work for a few hours.

OE2X:
Hey Ron, I'm getting old and with the amount of travelling I do, I need a case that can carry two bodies, 5 lenses, laptop, batteries, hard drives, CF card reader and a bunch of other expensive junk. I'm looking for a roller case that can hold all of that and still be taken on as carry on luggage.

Does such a pack exist? I would also be very interested. The closest thing I could find right now is:http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/Rolling_CompuTrekker_Plus_AW.aspx

but the local dealer here does not carry it. I will see if I can find one when I am in Singapore in a couple of weeks.

For now I just have Photo Trekker for my camera/lenses/bit and pieces and Stealth Reporter thingy for my laptops and misc. stuffs. Luckily airlines over here don't mind 2 carryon very much but my poor back does :(

OE2X:
I do.:D
When I'm top side I breath photography the way I breath 32% underwater. Sometimes it feels good just get away from work for a few hours.

Ahhh, I see, for me, under higher O2 partial pressure and a bit of nitrogen in my brain, my finger will itch for a shutter release but on land, I feel nada!

Yeah, pro digital bodies are rather shocking in price. Ironically many people who dumped 8K on the first Canon 1ds were rather disappointed in many ways as many lenses just did not work well (especially wide) with the sensor and produced dramatic light falloff and color shift at the edges. This remains somewhat, but less true, with even the latest sensor which is one reason Nikon IMO has stuck with the smaller sensor.

It took me about a decade to realize that one can not put 2000 cubic inches of gear in a 1000 cubic inch pack :banghead: I was completely convinced that somehow it would fit! I still relapse at times.

There is a company called Delsey that makes a bag (Pro Trolley 52).

www.delseycamerabags.com

I have never seen one in person, but it looks like it is about as big as one is going to get for carry on, it does NOT look like a camera bag (rather more like luggage) which IMO is a good thing, it has padded dividers specifically for camera gear, has a padded laptop compartment, has rollers, and IMO looks to be about as close as one is going to get to meeting your requirements. B&H photo sells these.

If you purchase one, let me know what you think as I've been looking at these for a while, but can never find them locally to check them out.

Will this hold all you stuff? Unlikely, but then see my comment about stuffing an elephant into a Yugo....

You're going to love the D2x. My best advice is shoot digital like slide film (don't count on a ton of exposure latitude) and use the heck out of the histogram. If you are blowing highlights, reshoot, as no amount of digital magic can save blown highlights.

I try to shoot in camera (just like film) and do as little cropping and post processing digital as possible which still means I tweak just about every image :wink:

The camera has a TON of settings and options. My approach to most is to shoot as nuteral as possible (don't up the saturation/Tone/Hue in camera) as Adobe handles post processing very well, but if one punches up the saturation to clownish levels it camera, it can be difficult to correct post, and it's very easy to perform the opposite with a low saturation image.

Don't expect your initial images to look like Fuji Velvia. Most new to digital shooting DSLR's are rather unimpressed with the less punchy starting image, but those can easily be processed into crisp standout colorful results. I think of digital as shooting with a low contrast film (actually many of my portraits can go strait to print). But add a bit of saturation/contrast to a landscape post process and the colors come alive.

Have fun, and I'm jelous of you new setup.... I'm planning on an upgrade to the D2x, but can't seem to find that 5K I put in my wallet..... Maybe by end of the year.

L8R

The Delsey case looks good, but a bit on the small side. I know - elephants and Yugos...

This Tenba backpack looks the best so far:
http://www.tenbagear.com/custom-cases/10000.htm

I have to admit though I really like my pelican brief case for my laptop. It holds everything that I need for a portable office and it's waterproof.

Tenba will do a custom case and that is probably the way I will end up going. If they made the above backpack as roller case I would buy it in a heart beat.
http://www.tenbagear.com/custom-cases/10000.htm

Or so they say.

I travel with a LowePro Nature Treker. No, it does NOT hold everything, but it holds the expensive stuff. However it's about 48" linear, and it REALLY can push the limit. I can NOT pack if full, or I run the risk of having it not fit in the airline cutout thingy....

The Delsey bag is 44.47" linear if I've done the conversions right (BIG IF :D )

Be careful on what you get to make sure it can alway carry on. If they don't like your bag size, they will make you check it.

Good luck,

And let us know what you finally decide upon. I've been trying to find the PERFECT bag for years, IMO, it does not exist. Pelican I agree makes great cases, and I have a couple large ones, but for travel, I think they almost scream, expensive stuff inside.

I agree on the Pelicans. I have a bunch and they are great for when you arrive at the location. I generally pack them in large duffels with the exception of my 1660 which is used on my boat since it is so big!

Back
Top Bottom