Photos of Great White Sharks of Guadalupe -- October 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did that dive with my youngest daughter about 5 years ago. It is a great experience. The sharks are magnificient. Great pics.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I've taken my kids to see reef sharks, lemons, tigers, and oceanic whitetips. To date, they've not seen great whites. This past trip makes me think I need to change that! Congrats to you and your daughter. I'm sure it was a great father-daughter experience of a lifetime.

Doug

It was a great time Doug. Diving with great whites was actually her idea. She has been fascinated with sharks ever since she read Jaws. I have four kids and three are diver certified. I have been fortunate to go with each one of them on a dive trip. I went to the Galapagos Islands with my oldest son, and traveled to Fiji with my youngest son. I should note that none of my kids were young when we made these trips. They were all in their mid to late 20's. It's a great experience to travel and dive with your kids.

I was surprised to see how close the sharks got to the cages considering that the boat is not allowed to chum anymore. Your pics seem to indicate that the sharks came in close on every dive, was that the case? What did you think about the cages that were 40 feet down? Your pics have me thinking that maybe I should make that trip again.

Regards,

Bill

We were not allowed to chum or "wrangle" the sharks. We were very lucky with the sharks coming very close to our cage each time we were in the water. The submersible cages were definitely a big draw for the sharks. If they were submerged (8am to 4pm) there was basically no action around the surface cages.

Let's see -- you've taken one son to Galapagos, one to Fiji, and your daughter to Guadalupe. Would you like to adopt me????? :)

Hmmmm, I notice on your profile that you are a cardiologist and at my age adopting you might be a great idea :). Welcome to the family son :).

Regards,

Bill

Nice images, Doug. When I was there in late Dec of 2005, they never directly made contact with the cage. Fortunate for us as ours was not as substantial as the one you were in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom