GUADALUPE MAY BE CLOSED PERMANENTLY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You bet they are! Visibility seemed ok! I always heard it was pretty bad there. How many sharks encounters over the trip?
We had windy weather at the start of the trip when we had two days of sharks planned. That was scrubbed so we got one day at the end of the trip with sharks. We saw at least four GWs and one was highly interactive all day. Visibility was excellent.

They drop a cage to the bottom 60+ feet as well so that was interesting viewing beyond the surface cage.

How would the shark even know? Sea-mail? Sonophone call?​
I just dove with Great White Sharks in Southern Australia. They were wary of any incidents that might trigger a repeat of the Guadalupe situiation.

View attachment 778837

Interesting development...
After reading how they handled their canceled trip bookings (many of whom were not divers), I’ll cross Nautilus off of my list of liveaboard operators I’d consider (in addition to Aggressor)! The Nautilus guy comes across as a completely unethical jerk.

After reading how they handled their canceled trip bookings (many of whom were not divers), I’ll cross Nautilus off of my list of liveaboard operators I’d consider (in addition to Aggressor)! The Nautilus guy comes across as a completely unethical jerk.
That's a pity because Nautilus is probably the best operator running in Mexico, etc. They are very professional, have a strong safety culture, and maintain excellent boats. Personally, I'd be reluctant to travel to Socorro with anyone else. If you can dive on the Explorer or Undersea boats it does not get any better.

That's a pity because Nautilus is probably the best operator running in Mexico, etc. They are very professional, have a strong safety culture, and maintain excellent boats. Personally, I'd be reluctant to travel to Socorro with anyone else. If you can dive on the Explorer or Undersea boats it does not get any better.
I have never been on Nautilus so I can't speak to their operation, but I have had amazing trips with both Solmar and Rocio Del Mar... Always felt safe with their operations and their knowledge of the dive sites. I know they have been working in that area for a long time so I think there are other options available.

I have never been on Nautilus so I can't speak to their operation, but I have had amazing trips with both Solmar and Rocio Del Mar... Always felt safe with their operations and their knowledge of the dive sites. I know they have been working in that area for a long time so I think there are other options available.
I have friends that have been on these 2 boats and had excellent trips as well. I can't, in good conscience support Nautilus based on what I've read on the Guadalupe nightmare!

I did my Guadelupe Island trip on the Solmar V and very much enjoyed it; the only hesitation I would have is related to the operator's other boat running aground and sinking in Socorro. That was really something where you have to ask if it was a lax crew or if the fish was rotting from the head down.

Never booked on Nautilus; heard good things about the safety of their boats, but the one time I saw Mike Lever speak at a dive show I was not impressed at him trying to play shark expert. I was Statler-and-Waldorf messaging a white shark scientist who's done a fair bit of time at Guadelupe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom