Photography Thread Revival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time out with the new camera in Curacao. Sony a7iv, 28-60 lens, Marelux housing, Nauticam WWL-1B, and Retra Pro X strobes. Significant upgrade from the Sealife I was playing with!
Be kind, this is just a hobby.
Wow, that was a significant camera upgrade.

What was your reason for going with the retra, had you used other strobes previously?

Retra Pro X strobes

Did you get the extra battery pac with it? How do you like the strobes? I am thinking of getting these strobes instead of S&S when I get the OM-1 camera (I have EMD5 now).

@BoltSnap we rented Villa #28. We actually did one dive from there back to Karakter Beach.

Well I can only compare these to a single S&S YS-01so it’s really no comparison. I did not grab the extra packs. I almost never turned them up past 20% so I was fine for a day and half. I was averaging 50 shots a dive. If I was spending longer than an hour or two underwater or was shooting fast action shots I would of grabbed the packs.

A few more from the same location
524F7641-A467-4994-8BEF-405921E195F0.jpeg
0590EB2F-D149-49B2-ABCF-6CC6323A46CF.jpeg
0ED37CCF-1F22-450C-B566-298218F65CA4.jpeg
392756E3-9FEA-4942-901E-650E8DF36D4D.jpeg
C76C8DF4-CFD6-44FC-82F6-9ED3F066AEFF.jpeg
C0E8E11F-9771-48E5-8BDB-7CFBC25E60D9.jpeg

@BoltSnap we rented Villa #28. We actually did one dive from there back to Karakter Beach.

Is there an active resort/hotel down by the water? The last time I was there was when it was "Habitat Curacao" but that closed many, many years ago.

Well I can only compare these to a single S&S YS-01

That's what I have now too. I usually average 120 photos per dive and usually around 1/2 or less power. I will probably get the extra battery packs.

Is there an active resort/hotel down by the water? The last time I was there was when it was "Habitat Curacao" but that closed many, many years ago.

That's what I have now too. I usually average 120 photos per dive and usually around 1/2 or less power. I will probably get the extra battery packs.
Yes, it's called Coral Estates, smallish hotel with restaurant and pool bar and dive shop. Lots of nice houses up in the hills behind it. Stayed there in 2016.

it's called Coral Estates, smallish hotel with restaurant and pool bar and dive shop

Is it worth staying there, at this hotel? Is it a high end or reasonable cost to stay there? I loved the location since it is centrally located on the Island and I can use it as a base to west or east in addition to having a great reef (more than one depending if you go left or right). I would go there again if it is still reasonably priced to stay there.

Is it worth staying there, at this hotel? Is it a high end or reasonable cost to stay there? I loved the location since it is centrally located on the Island and I can use it as a base to west or east in addition to having a great reef (more than one depending if you go left or right). I would go there again if it is still reasonably priced to stay there.
I should have been clearer, we stayed in one of the houses thru VRBO, also it was 2019 into 2020. The grounds were very nice. We had dinner at the pool bar and drinks a couple times. A little on the pricey side. The dive shop was great, lots of good info, good fills, rented the kids gear and tanks for the "rustic" sites.
FWIW, I didn't see any unhappy looking guests.

@BoltSnap my family enjoyed. If I remember correctly it was $500 a night for the villa. 3 bedroom, 4 bath private pool on the water. It was nice. My wife and prefer all inclusive though.

@Skeptic14 yeah it was. I was hoping for a Sony a7riv but I am plenty happy with this. Found it used in great shape so I jumped on it.
As for using other strobes just the S&S YS-01. No real reason besides some of the features Retra offers. If you get a chance to hold one and look at the machining, fit & finish and its overall heft its a pretty easy decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom