Photography Thread Revival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love seeing all the different takes and techniques! Here are some of mine from last year. I use my phone in a housing and no lights, so it's wide angle and ambient lighting, and sometimes the colours aren't the best. Often I work around this by falling back to black and white and going to the feeling of the dive, or a pleasing or humourous shape of things rather than details:

20220917-IMG_0361.jpg

20220323-IMG_1258-Edit.jpg

20220323-IMG_1223.jpg

20220323-IMG_1450.jpg

Welcome to SB! And nice pics. I especially like the one with the diver and bubbles, my favorite type of photo: natural light, includes diver, captures a seascape as the unaided eye sees it, conveys the "feeling" (here, of a lone diver descending, about to commence exploring).

rx7diver
Thanks! Yes, I like the one of the diver with the bubbles for all the reasons you eloquently described, particularly the feeling piece. While it is nice to document sealife, capturing a piece of the allure and drama of the dive helps create a connection with the image and tell a story. Without some type of drama in the image, things can start to look a bit clinical.
Great images! I will also convert to B&W when the lighting makes color correction challenging. It can also work well with flat (low contrast) images because you can often crank up contrast higher in B&W and still have the image work. But generally I try to keep color in there as it adds to the feeling of being there. I don’t have strobes, so all my stuff is natural light or occasionally with a flashlight.

I’ve posted to a more limited audience in the SeaLife Station sub Forum, but here are a few from Nassau a couple of months ago. They were shot with a bare SeaLife Micro 3.0, then downloaded to and cleaned up in my iPad. I took some pix of divers but really concentrated on my first love, fishies! Here are an obligatory Reef Shark, a Porkfish, a Bluestriped Grunt, and a Striped Burrfish (?).
Enjoy!
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0258.jpeg
    MICR0258.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 47
  • MICR0222.jpeg
    MICR0222.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 46
  • MICR0223.jpeg
    MICR0223.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
  • MICR0205.jpeg
    MICR0205.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks! Yes, I like the one of the diver with the bubbles for all the reasons you eloquently described, particularly the feeling piece. While it is nice to document sealife, capturing a piece of the allure and drama of the dive helps create a connection with the image and tell a story. Without some type of drama in the image, things can start to look a bit clinical.
I have been diving solo almost exclusively for a number of years. I find it difficult to convey to non-diving friends (even non-solo-diving friends) exactly what this feels like. Your pic captures this feeling very nicely, I think!

rx7diver

Pretty honored and excited to have Ikelite accept my submission for featured customer. Big step for me in my photo journey. Big thanks to everyone who's shared tips and tricks on these forums over the past few years.

Pretty honored and excited to have Ikelite accept my submission for featured customer. Big step for me in my photo journey. Big thanks to everyone who's shared tips and tricks on these forums over the past few years.

Congratulations! That’s a fantastic achievement, and I look forward to seeing your photos elsewhere. Please let us know when more of your photos are published.

By the way, I couldn’t help but notice that the lobster was the only photo from this area. Of course, 3 foot vis doesn’t make for good photos, 😂.

Erik

Congratulations! That’s a fantastic achievement, and I look forward to seeing your photos elsewhere. Please let us know when more of your photos are published.

By the way, I couldn’t help but notice that the lobster was the only photo from this area. Of course, 3 foot vis doesn’t make for good photos, 😂.

Erik
Thanks a ton for the support!
Sad, but true! I do have some local shots in the archives I'll be working on in the near future. This lobster was up in Rockport and wanted to throw down, unlike most who tend to back away. Couldn't miss a shot like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom