Photography fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter:
Its the diver/technique, not the equipment.

WW

You are diving in Force Fins...:D

WW is right. There's no such thing ass Photography fins. I see just as many photogs in split fins (what I wear) and I do jet fins or other styles of blade fins.

Same with BC's. My BP/wing works for me but my friend uses an old SeaQuest jacket BC and he's by my side, shot for shot.

You need to find which BC and fins you are comfortable in, that suits your type of diving and exspecially one that works with your particular body needs.

I wish there was a simple answer for you but there's not.

Same as above plus one thing...

I love the shoulder weight pockets on my SeaQuest Spec 4 (not made anymore I don't think). Other BCs have them too. As we are warm water diving here I don't need much weight so just a small wt on each shoulder and no weight belt. Find it gives me much more stability and I really like it in surgey conditions.

OK...plus one more thing - practice with your camera in water and gear...the more you do the better you'll be.

OK, I'll be the lone person to disagree with everyone else.

For ME, a fin that is very flexible makes it difficult for ME to shoot video. I had difficulty making minor position adjustments and holding still in the current and surge using my light flexible Tusa full foot fin. A very well known pro photographer also had problems when he 1st tried split fins (grey Scubapro's ?). He later found success using a stiffer split fin (Atomic ?).

Split fins are well known for their preference of short quick kicks. If splits or very flexible fins work best with short quick kicks instead of big slow kicks then the subtle little ankle kick that I use for minor position adjustments probably won't work too good with a flexible fin, split or not. I may be trying to legitmize my argument, but all I know is when I used the flexible Tusa's I had positioning problems and when I used a stiffer fin the problems went away.

If you previously used Aqua Lung Blades how about the full foot version the Stratos ? When I don't shoot video I use the Tusa full foot, shooting video I use the Stratos full foot.

I don't have a problem with my Blades. They are just so long. It's the only thing I have ever dove with. I thought maybe a shorter fin may be better.

...that being said I'll tell you that I use Force Fins because they are shorter and in my mind less likely to stir up the sediment.

As much as I detest DIR attitude I note that they stole my finning style and call it their own now. Look in to it and you will be more maneuverable in the water and less likely to stir things up. Do ignore the DIR directives on fins to use. The "DIR finning style" works wonderfully with my Force Fins and has for years. I can fin backwards, hover, helicopter and all that as well as anyone.

DSDO

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom