Photographer's rant...when someone says, "nice pics, you must have a good camera!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use a very cheap camera with an even cheaper strobe. I was fortunate enough to win 2nd and 3rd place in a photo contest that was held aboard the nekton pilot during a week long live aboard trip to the Bahamas.

I remember that one of the winning shots was a very lucky shot. I stayed motionless for over 40 minutes (thanks to a rebreather) and took over 35 pics to get the 1 good shot.

I now have a much more advanced setup and have not been able to get near the same effects yet. I have to learn it all ovewr again with this one.

It is both the camera and the person behind the camera that gets the good shots.

...I remember that one of the winning shots was a very lucky shot. I stayed motionless for over 40 minutes (thanks to a rebreather) and took over 35 pics to get the 1 good shot....
When you stay motionless for 40 minutes to get a picture it isn't luck anymore! That's what I call working to get a shot. Well, maybe a little luck, but clearly you were using the time to get the picture you wanted. Care to share the picture?
Thanks

Composition, framing, diving skills, creative thought, post production skills, and tenacity in dealing with logistics all come in to play in producing underwater images. It has been my passion for over 20 years, and I do not disparage any photographer in using any tricks of the trade in producing his images. I do sometimes take umbrage at the insinuation that the equipment is the only determinate in the quality of the images produced. I appreciate the comment made about the observer having "excellent eyes". All photos below before post-production editing. None would likely be accepted for publication "as is". All 4 have been published at a profit for the photographer after photo-editing. The idea that a photographer is some how "cheating" by editing (even heavily) his images is an amateurish notion at best.

Attachments

• AQ 509 3 (4).jpg
    AQ 509 3 (4).jpg
    323 KB · Views: 265
  • B7 0104.jpg
    B7 0104.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 255
  • BA08 17 (164a).jpg
    BA08 17 (164a).jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 245
  • B8 Apr. 08.jpg
    B8 Apr. 08.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I agree Doug...I learned in the seventh grade in a darkroom (really small school K-12 in one school and I became the photography teachers "pet" early on) how to do most of what I do with digital photos now. Of course it is easier and the results are immediate and the apple z buttons make life a breeeeeze now but I myself am glad I am part of today's technology both underwater and sitting right here.

Beutybelow, I also started in a darkroom in middle school (learning to push /dodge/ ect.) I don't think I will ever get that smell out of my sinuses. I can't agree with you 100% though because I am a PC:D

I am a PC

ohhh.....I am sooo sorry. I should be more sensitive. haha...just kidding. We don't want to go down that road. I turned mac about two years ago and never looked back after using a PC for years. The Z key is the Z key either way.

Of course good equipment is nice no matter what the occupation or pasttime.
But as a professional photo editor, I have seen great photos with point and shoot cameras and crappy photos with cameras that cost thousands of dollars.

ohhh.....I am sooo sorry. I should be more sensitive. haha...just kidding. We don't want to go down that road. I turned mac about two years ago and never looked back after using a PC for years. The Z key is the Z key either way.
Yeah but... the right mouse button (my favorite key) isn't the same though.
Peace man.
:admingreet:

As fate would have it, I recently got a new stove with a convection oven.
My other hobby is cooking and I discovered my roasted chicken is now a lot more tasty and my results of baking are much more consistent.
Equipment does make a difference.

I came across a quote on Facebook the other day that kinda sums up my feelings about photography.

" The amateur obsesses about gear, the pro obsesses about money, the master obsesses about light.
I just like to take pictures. "

Thanks to everyone who posted replies.
Your input and points of view have broadened my understanding.

Yeah but... the right mouse button (my favorite key) isn't the same though.
Peace man.
:admingreet:

The right mouse button is exactly the same as on a PC. But not in the default setting. You have to go to the mouse settings and change the settings to what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom