Photo friendly dive op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have searched thru the Coz forum and found lots of great info. But my question is more specifically - we are considering Cozumel later this year but want to choose an operator who is sensitive to the needs of divers who really really want to take photos on their dives - the photography is more important than covering the whole site, if that makes sense. And to those of you who do dive like this, you know what I mean - you might want to spend quite a while with one subject (I know there are currents in Coz, but within the condition limits).

Thanks for the input...

Most hotel operators can set this up quickly. Tell them you want a boat for "X" people for scuba diving. On Cozumel there is no problem getting a guide with a boat.

Now on the downside, you may or may not get a dive guide along with that (you could specify & pay for one). But, you can pick your spot and then you plan your own dive. Maximum freedom but you give up any underwater assistance. You are on your own underwater.

If you're going to hang around a certain section of the reef and take pictures (that's the way I do it), then not having a divemaster isn't a problem as long as you all are experienced.

This is probably the only way to get what you want because the divemaster on a "group" trip should give preference to the majority of divers. If the majority aren't photog's, then you will be left out.

I've had it where I paid only about 20% more than the group dive rate and had a private dive guide since I did not have a buddy. I told him what I wanted and he did the rest. The boat was smaller and you climbed up a ladder hung over the side, but I was willing to give up a bit of convenience to have a dive I wanted without a bunch of people blasting each other with their fins. Given the choice, I'll always take a private guide. It's always worth the extra $10 or so.

When we dove with Emerald Dolphin Dive Service, we asked for a DM just for our group of 3, and they were extremely accommodating. They even asked what I'd like to get pictures of, and actively found the subjects I was looking for, as well as recommending reefs that they could find them at.

alcina:
I have searched thru the Coz forum and found lots of great info. But my question is more specifically - we are considering Cozumel later this year but want to choose an operator who is sensitive to the needs of divers who really really want to take photos on their dives - the photography is more important than covering the whole site, if that makes sense. And to those of you who do dive like this, you know what I mean - you might want to spend quite a while with one subject (I know there are currents in Coz, but within the condition limits).

Thanks for the input...

alcina:
How many divers will be in your party? If you will have 6 or more, there is a very good chance you can request your own boat from several Dive Ops.

albatros charters I just got back from Cozumel the group I choice was Albatross charters, I took over 500 pictures while I was there and I was new and it turns out that broch the head dive master also uses a Olympus C 5050 so for me was excellent since I am totally new at this with my camera and U/W pictures taking. Rita who is the leader is also an excellent diver and man I wish the dive operators hear in Nc would learn from these people. They litterly spoiled me to the point, I didnt want to come home.
First they let me dive my dive with in reason, second they showed me allot of stuff I missed and they new the area, in detail. And they wear safe another area of my concern.
If you email them tell Rita I said hi from Sandhills scuba in NC its Joe.

Natasha:
alcina:
How many divers will be in your party? If you will have 6 or more, there is a very good chance you can request your own boat from several Dive Ops.

There are only two of us diving. DH and I are going (if our original choice falls through) to celebrate our 10th anniversary in Cozumel.

Thanks for the pointers so far...so many operators! I really like hearing about the ones where you had successful photography as that will most likely be the decider.

Anyone used Diver Paradise? These guys were extremely prompt and helpful so far via email, but I am not remembering their name too much from what I have read.

Congrats on your upcoming 10th Anniversary!

I just returned from Cozumel Saturday, and I used Dive Paradise. I have been using them, for a few years now, and they are my preferred Dive Op in Cozumel.

alcina:
There are only two of us diving. DH and I are going (if our original choice falls through) to celebrate our 10th anniversary in Cozumel.

Thanks for the pointers so far...so many operators! I really like hearing about the ones where you had successful photography as that will most likely be the decider.

Anyone used Diver Paradise? These guys were extremely prompt and helpful so far via email, but I am not remembering their name too much from what I have read.

Try to get on a 6-pack. Less divers on the boat means more likelihood you'll get to dive the way you want. I shoot video, so I understand what you're looking for.

I also like ops that do their surface interval at beach resorts. You can thoroughly rinse your gear and spread it out on a nice clean dry table.

I like Caballito del Caribe. Small, fast, covered 6-pak boats, SI on the beach, usually at Nachi CoCum, DM's are great and give you as much latitude as safety allows.

Thanks for the pointers so far. I have emailed all the operators you mentioned and am waiting for replies now.

I must confess I am still amazed at what a huge range of operators/hotels people are using and reporting good things about! I am glad as it takes some of the scariness away as it seems most any choice will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom