Photo Editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are exspensive I just dont know if they are worth it or not

For right now I am shooting a 7.1 megapixel cannon camera. I will always be upgrading though, but I guess you would say Im not end to very very high end photography.

I have been shooting a 5 MP camera for nearly a decade.

I have thousands of really good raw images that are stored on unresponsive Windows hard drives, and I was paying for virus protection all those Windows years. :shakehead:

I can access every raw image since going "only" mac, and I have not paid a dime for virus protection in over 4 years. :idk:

Cheap is as cheap does; backup your Windows back ups! How much does it cost to have 2 or 3 external hard drives? :rofl3:

halemanō;5698378:
I have been shooting a 5 MP camera for nearly a decade.

I have thousands of really good raw images that are stored on unresponsive Windows hard drives, and I was paying for virus protection all those Windows years. :shakehead:

I can access every raw image since going "only" mac, and I have not paid a dime for virus protection in over 4 years. :idk:

Cheap is as cheap does; backup your Windows back ups! How much does it cost to have 2 or 3 external hard drives? :rofl3:
halemano,

Excellent point and logic !

To The OP.
You can get laptops for the $$ you are talking about that are pretty good. Don't worry about getting the top of the line. If you want a better bang for the buck get a desktop. Here is just one example. You should get more memory though. HP ProBook 4520s XT943UT Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-370M 2.40GHz, 2GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6 Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit at TigerDirect.com

Lightroom is awesome, but you can start editing files, including RAW with some freeware that works really well.
GIMP is one program that works really well.. GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

halemanō;5698378:
... I have thousands of really good raw images that are stored on unresponsive Windows hard drives, and I was paying for virus protection all those Windows years. :shakehead:

I can access every raw image since going "only" mac, and I have not paid a dime for virus protection in over 4 years. :idk:...
Halemano, You are living life dangerously! Until now, mac's have been better for viruses, since they are not the primary target of the "bad guys" that write viruses .. yet. You might also be a carrier of a PC virus and not know it, until you try using Windows on your mac (it can happen :) ).

Have you tried this SW on your old drives that you can't access? Data Recovery Software Products - Runtime Software Products
It really does work, unless you had a particularly horrible virus that wrote over your pictures which would be rather unusual.
Good Luck!

halemanō;5698378:
and I have not paid a dime for virus protection in over 4 years.
:

Neither have i paid any $$ for virus scanner, it is free from Microsoft -Microsoft security essentials.(no hassles or speed issues)

Also, try out the adobe elements trial package for 30$, it might do every thing you want for $50 on sale.

I'd buy photoshop CS but it's way out of your price range. For me it was basically a choice between a strobe and photoshop, and I went with photoshop and am not disappointed for pictures < 50'.

Osric
I would choose to go the other way. A strobe will add the light you need. Photoshop just can't do that. You can't add light back in after you take the picture.

I would choose to go the other way. A strobe will add the light you need. Photoshop just can't do that. You can't add light back in after you take the picture.

There's no doubt that there are circumstances where nothing but a strobe will do.

I just don't like the look of flash, and didn't want more equipment to travel with. But if you're going to be shooting pictures at 50'+, you'll need light.

Osric

Frank.... Channel Mixer.

88679d1295931267-photo-editing-lionfish-ps-process.jpg

Attachments

• Lionfish-PS-process.jpg
    Lionfish-PS-process.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 80
Frank.... Channel Mixer.

88679d1295931267-photo-editing-lionfish-ps-process.jpg

VS. with strobe..
lionfish3.jpg

I like my pictures with all the colors. I can understand why some may prefer to leave them as is in a cyan monotone (as they are seen by us when we dive without lights). I prefer to see all the colors rather than move the whole picture to the red side.
I have taken pictures after my strobe batteries run out, but there is no way the colors are going to magically appear from any tool in PS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom