Phosphoric Acid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rusttg

New
Reaction score
I see phosphoric acid being recomended for the removal of rust in cylinders, I need to know what %/ purity acid this would be.

rusttg:
I see phosphoric acid being recomended for the removal of rust in cylinders, I need to know what %/ purity acid this would be.

A concentration of 70% should be readily available. In the US this acid can be obtained from building supply concerns. Mix four liters acid with eight liters of water. Pour acid into water SLOWLY. Pour mixture into tank and allow 30-60 minutes. Do not allow any mixture to touch external surfaces of tank. Rinse out tank with 1/2 kilo of sodium bicarbonate mixed with 12 liters of water. Rinse with fresh water. Dry with forced air.

Sure beats pouring in a can or two of Coca-Cola :wink: No stickly residue to deal with.

I would agree if the tank is heavily rusted. However, I am in the practice of answering questions not replying with "don't do dat". I leave that to others.
Pesky

ScubaDadMiami:
I would not use acid at all. Get the tanks tumbled.

Back
Top Bottom