Phones in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeChat is a user friendly app...you can chat, messenger and even video call other users....I used WhatApp in China last year...maybe is taboo now?

Not sure what's Taboo now, but I do know WeChat is the main mode of communication in China. We'll see how practical it all turns out to be. Hopefully I can manage to keep from getting stressing while we're there!

I used WhatApp in China last year...maybe is taboo now?
Deeds on when last year. It was blocked in June. There are some extra steps to get around the block, but I would not want to break rules in China. The diplomatic situation is not going to improve this year either.

I do have an older plan....512mb doesn’t get you much, so I like the $5 bucks a day.
I miss paying less, but I couldn't get by on ½Gb a month now, and everyone else in my family group uses more. My grandkids are over 30GB and over 50Gb currently with a week left in the period.

The thing is, no post here makes is applicable to the discussion without stating carrier & plan.

Not sure what's Taboo now, but I do know WeChat is the main mode of communication in China. We'll see how practical it all turns out to be. Hopefully I can manage to keep from getting stressing while we're there!
Whatsapp is blocked. Wechat is the thing. Just add it now to each phone to be using it and try it out some now & then.

Sorry about not getting back quicker. My carrier is Verizon, and I'm not sure about the plan. I intend to call them or stop at one of their stores tomorrow and hack this out. We will get there. From what I read so far, it should not be a problem to get my phone converted, although what does it cost to get a cheap burner down there anyway? Never bought one of them before, and I just need a basic phone without text messaging.

I don't know what a cheap burner costs, but you can achieve the same thing by buying a prepaid SIM card and install it on your phone. It will be a new number to your phone. Of course, you won't be able to use your phone at the same time. The bonus is that you're not paying for hardware. The potential downside is losing your current SIM card (small buggers).

I am not sure if my smart phone works down there
I've used a basic phone with extra Mexico add-on down there many time, but since you have a Verizon smart phone, it'll work. Just talk to tech support about the settings you need.

If you have Verizon, sign up for Travel Pass. It's $5/day for the days you have cellular on (airplane mode with WiFi on doesn't count against you). It uses your same minutes and data plan as what you have at home .
If you are on an older plan that does not provide free use in Mexico, then I think you'd find just adding this $5/day Mexico add-on would be simpler and cheaper than buying a prepaid or changing Sim cards.
It's still on Verizon's website. In other countries, it's $10/day. Canada and MX is $5/day. I think you get charged much more if you're not signed up for it.View attachment 482160

My carrier is Verizon, and I'm not sure about the plan.
You can sign into your account online or into MyVerizon on your phone to see, or - some don't ever set that up, so yeah - call them.

As far as how to make calls down there, this is from their site: "For calling to the USA, dial +1 and the 10 digit number you are calling. For calls within Mexico, dial +52 and the local number you are calling." By local number, it's 7 digits calling someone on the same island, but 10 digits if you need to call Cancun, I think.

Hokay, here is the rest of the story. It appears I have a prepaid plan which reloads every month, and it appears I must have been thinking of Coz when I set this up, as I have "International Enabled" on my account. They tell me this will work in Mexico, and always would have. Haven't tried this phone down there yet, so we will see. This is Mexico, after all, and you just never know. Wish me luck!

Hokay, here is the rest of the story. It appears I have a prepaid plan which reloads every month, and it appears I must have been thinking of Coz when I set this up, as I have "International Enabled" on my account. They tell me this will work in Mexico, and always would have. Haven't tried this phone down there yet, so we will see. This is Mexico, after all, and you just never know. Wish me luck!

With which company is your prepaid plan?

It could be StraightTalk, which uses Verizon as a carrier and is a prepaid service. This is through Walmart. There may be other offerers, too.

We have AT&T. Our plan includes Mexico calls, but somewhat reduced data. I hate to say this but my phone works better in Mexico than it does at my house, or even my office in Downtown OKC.

So, OP, I think it is going to depend on who your carrier is. My phone works great in Cozumel.

Safe travels,
Jay

Agree,

I also have an ATT plan that includes calls, texts, and data; and also works great in Coz.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom