Phones in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico data and calls are included on most plans now. I was not charged and I’m on Verizon and my friend on ATT wasn’t either.

Not even an extra $5/day?? I just went to Vancouver for six days and got an extra $30 charge.

Yes, you need to remember to turn of data. My current Android phone defaults on "WiFi Call Priority." I'm pretty sure that happened when I installed WhatsApp.

I also turn off data to use Here We Go. It's a GPS/map app and if you download the maps beforehand it doesn't need any data or WiFi or phone service.

You can turn off data, but if a call comes through, extra charges will apply. I just go to airplane mode and turn on wifi.

This may not be worth the hassle for a week-long trip, but here's what my buddy and I do when we are in Panama for an extended period. We go to the local phone store/mall kiosk and buy a SIM card and some minutes from that company. Works great and it's pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, just make sure you don't lose your US SIM card while there, the suckers are tiny.

We have AT&T. Our plan includes Mexico calls, but somewhat reduced data. I hate to say this but my phone works better in Mexico than it does at my house, or even my office in Downtown OKC.

So, OP, I think it is going to depend on who your carrier is. My phone works great in Cozumel.

Safe travels,
Jay

This may not be worth the hassle for a week-long trip, but here's what my buddy and I do when we are in Panama for an extended period. We go to the local phone store/mall kiosk and buy a SIM card and some minutes from that company. Works great and it's pretty cheap.

I did the same thing while visiting Panama. It's great for data and calling in country, but it also changes your number to an in country number. Folks won't be able to reach you on your regular number, and I don't know what it does for international calls (in and out). Also, it helps to have a bilingual person help you when setting it up. That should be easy to find in CZM. Reloading my card in Panama was a bit of a PIA, as was buying the card I needed.

T-mobile here too. I think our plan is older - called the North America plan, but iterations of it are still available. There is no change to our plan or charges when we're in Mexico.

We have 4 lines unlimited talk and text, and 10 GB per line of data per month = $142.66.

The phone does remain a US phone. We do not have to dial any differently when we're in Mexico, or the US.

Edit to add: Same for us, connections are excellent, as I think any GSM carrier would be.

Folks won't be able to reach you on your regular number, and I don't know what it does for international calls (in and out).

Correct. I don't need my number for anyone to get ahold of me while I'm in Panama, but it's a good point for anyone considering doing this.

Reloading my card in Panama was a bit of a PIA, as was buying the card I needed.

Indeed, but even buying a soda is a PIA in Panama! :mad:

Correct. I don't need my number for anyone to get ahold of me while I'm in Panama, but it's a good point for anyone considering doing this.

Indeed, but even buying a soda is a PIA in Panama! :mad:

I'm not so sure about that. The sodas all seem to fit all cups. I can't say that the SIM cards all fit the same phones. And, I only needed one soda at a time. The number of days I needed the SIM card to work was not one at a time.

If you are over 55 or know someone who is you can get a heck of a deal from tmobile. Only one person needs to be 55 or over. Unlimited talk, text and data in US, Canada, and Mexico for $70 TOTAL for both lines including tax plus free stuff like hotspots, in flight wifi... Now it is unlimted 4G in US only but you get 5GB a month of 4G in mexico/canada before it slows down and goes to 3G. Coverage in Cozumel is excellent.

T-Mobile ONE Plans for Seniors | Age 55+ 2 Unlimited Lines for $70/Mo. For Life | T-Mobile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom