Phillipines in Aug/Sept (Donsol?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

britishseapowerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've just booked my flights for a 3.5 week jaunt to the Philippines in Aug/Sept. So far I have booked Duain and Malapascua. I have 12 days left to play with and was wondering if anyone knows what the likelihood of seeing whalesharks in Donsol were? - was just planning a few days there.

Aside from this I was planning about 4 days diving in Coron. Is this advisable at this time of year or would you recommend I stayed down in the visayas?

Also open to other ideas of destinations - Anilao seems a bit expensive as my focus is unlimited diving and cheap accomodation.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I had read it was wet season but was hoping it was the tail end of the season and that the visayas were less affected by the wet weather, in the visayas I read it can rain about anytime in the year. I have already booked the flights so its too late to change now!!!!

Timing wise Aug/Sept is indeed in the rainy season but a few hours of heavy rain, mostly the the evenings, shouldn't give you much of a head ache....

....However, Aug/Sept is the peak typhoon season, although I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it, down there in the Visaya's you shouldn't have too many typhoon problems unless you're very unlucky! The sea will be much rougher and the rain a little heavier if one comes close but diving shouldn't be too affected unless one gets very close.

I don't think there'll be too much to see in Donsol at that time, with the location of Donsol seeming to act like a typhoon magnet I'd recommend leaving the Donsol trip till next time you're back in the Philippines :wink:

for Info I was diving in Cebu from Friday last week to Tuesday this week and the weather was perfect!

We'll be headed over around the same time, August 13-29, Bohol first and then Malapascua, diving with TSD. There was actually a really incredible segment last night on Nightline (an American news program - perhaps it's available online?) all about the whale sharks in Donsol, which got me thinking if we could make it over there as well? Unfortuately, from what I've read the "season" to see them is Nov-May, but I'm curious if any of you have had luck at other times?

On the other hand, apparently there's been a few whale shark sightings recently where we'll be diving in Bohol, so perhaps that fella will stick around until we visit???

Last edited:
Are you aware that Aug/Sept. is right in the middle of rainy/typhoon season? Some friends just got back from the Visayas...rain almost everyday.

Weather forecast in Cebu City : Philippines

This is just slanderous!

In 7 years in the Philippines I have lost maybe 2 days diving due to Typhoons. Rainy season here is not like rainy season in some other parts of Asia.

I'm in the Visayas, it has rained a few times in the last month, and I mean a few. And only in the late afternoon or evening, for an hour or 2 at most.

The rest of the time it's been scorching hot sunshine, 35c in the air and 30c in the water...oh and good viz to look at the sharks and mantas.

Those weather websites predict rain everyday of the year. I know as I used to look at it everyday thinking it would help out.

If you like diving in the Philippines it's good everyday of the year, and you can quite possibly find weeks in August when you dont see the rain at all.

Sorry to rant...

No typhoon so far this year, may be due to one soon if not later!!!!
But I wouldn't worry too much about it.
3.5 weeks in Philippines, make sure your visa is in order.
Coron is very good but so is Subic Bay. USS New York is one the best among all the wrecks in the country.
If the budget is tight, I would stay around the Visayas region. Other places worth visiting:
Southern Leyte, Bohol and Moalboal.

if you're alone going to Donsol, come during week end... Whale sharks sightings as of today is good. Visitors saw 5 whale sharks... weather here is good... actually for many years of my stay here in Donsol, starting July is the rainy season but this year, no rain, no waves, whale shark sighting is good...

hopefully no off season for the whalesharks... but diving in Manta bowl and in San Miguel is year round...

Rodel- just curious as to why you recommend weekend for Donsol? I heard somewhere to avoid weekends as there are more people. Do the boats go everyday? Are the sightings daily too?

Thanks!
Jen

Back
Top Bottom