Philippines V Malaysia, Indonesia - honest comparison please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there

I am dreaming up my next trip and am eyeing up going back to the golden traingle! I am considering the Philippines as I have never been but have heard mixed reports.

I am trying to see how good it is compared to places I have dived nearby.

I have been to
Sipadan
Lembeh
Bunaken
Komodo
Gilis
Bali
Similans

How does it rate compared to these?

Once I make up my mind to go I tend to be quite tenacious and money isn't the biggest issue so are there better places in the Philippines that are LA only.

I don't travel light a I bring full dive gear, cameras and housing so mobility can be ann issue.

Thanks all!

An interesting question.
The answer must be that both PH & IND provide excellent diving that is very good value.

If you have never been to the PH I recommend you go there for your next trip.

However I would suggest you do a lot of research. I have approx 50 dives in PH(PG,S.leyte,Dumaguete) & approx 100 dive IND (Bali,Lombok,Bunaken,Lembeh,Papua)

I personally did not really enjoy PG or Dumaguete but loved S.Leyte. I have enjoyed all my diving in IND.

I would say diving in PH can be more impacted by the weather as some of PH is in the typhoon belt. I was unlucky with the weather in PG.

I also think its easier to double up dive location in IND e.g Bali/Komodo, Bunaken/Lembeh compared to PH. In PH you can dive PG/ANA and a few locations around Cebu. When I was planning my 1st trip to PH I found it quite difficult to locate all the various dive locations. This forum was very helpful.

IND has more islands and more remote off the beaten track world class diving (R4,Ambon,Banda,Komodo)..

If I were to return to PH I would do either Tubbataha/Anilao/S.Leyte.

I am planning lots of trips to IND. I am planning Komodo/Ambon/Banda Ache/Halmahera.

IMHO Indonesia is the best diving location in the world. However I would be very happy to dive either of them!!!

Both Philippines and Indonesia seldom disappoint me. These two countries are still my favourites. Most parts of Philippines are good in the first half of the year, typhoon tend to strike in the 2nd half of the year.

I was in Puerto Galera in Dec 2006, was a little unlucky bcos of the typhoon a week before my trip. A blessing in disguise I guess. Visibility was really affected, but macro life is still abundance. I still enjoyed my dives there despite the poor viz. Easy travel from Manila, about 2.5 hrs drive plus 45 mins boat ride.

Malapascua in April 2007 for the infamous Thresher Sharks! Saw manta on our very first dive. Good place for combination for both pelagics and macro. 3 hrs drive from Cebu and 30 mins boat ride.

Anilao in Nov 2007, great viz, great weather, great dives! Anilao is a macro heaven! 2.5 hrs drive from Manila. No typhoon this time.

Moalboal and Panglao, Bohol in Feb 2008. Dives were okay, not fantastic but not bad either. Had a great 1 week holiday. Both places via Cebu. 2.5 hrs drive from Cebu to Moalboal. 2 hrs fast ferry ride and 30 mins drive from Cebu to Panglao.

Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte in May 2008. My best trip to Philippines so far. 3 whale sharks and a couple of white tips to say the least, abundance fish life, prestine coral reef, viz at a minimum of 30m at all time and a fantastic muck dive at Padre Burgos jetty. Travel is a little gruesome, there are many options to choose from if you're coming from Cebu. One option is 2 hrs fast ferry + 4 hrs drive, another option is 5 hrs slow but very comfortable ferry ride with bed + 1.5 hrs drive.

You can check out the pictures from my multiply site in my signature below.

Hope this little info helps =)

I've never been to Indonesia, but three trips to the Philippines.
Go to the Philippines I've read that the diving experience is almost the same, however, the Philippines will cost less, and the people are very friendly. My wife and I have made many friends. We have dove in Puerto Galera, Dumagete, Mactan Is. Panglao Is., and Boracay. You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!
WARNING: DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING!!

Nice pics indeed Sharx. Looks like Macro heaven is right. Thats all I need. Well, while I am at it, what is e.g Cebu etc like above water etc - I often don't factor it in but its a great, great bonus if there is nighlife, good food etc.

I am thinking of a month or so between November and February so maybe its not great for weather??

still chance of typhoons in november to early december. usually clear weather in jan-feb although water can be colder than usual (about 25-27C). cebu has nightlife but these are not in the same place as the divesites. maybe 30 minutes from resorts in mactan and at least three hours from moalboal and malapascua. moalboal has its own nightlife though. a little like PG.

Not much night life at the area I stayed in Anilao and Sogod Bay apart from beers. Great night life at Panglao beach in Bohol, better than Malapascua, Moalboal and Puerto Galera. Plenty of great food variety, restaurants and bars along Alona beach in Bohol. We had a nice fireworks display there in Feb 2008 for Chinese New Year.

If that's your travel period, I would suggest Jan-Feb. Relatively low chance for typhoon strike. And hey, colder water means more pelagics...

I am thinking of a month or so between November and February so maybe its not great for weather??

november is the start of the northeast monsoon season but it gets better towards the end of it like january to february. also, jan to feb is the end of the holiday season too so airfares should be cheaper (i think)

Well, you are posting an interesting question......I have been to all of them. I have been diving with some good and some bad operators. It seems to me that I always had the most fun and best bang for my dollar in the Philippines. I think southern Indonesia is probably on top for marine diversity. The Philippines is just easier to get around (it's our home so that might be biased). Depends on your budget too. Outside of the Philippines you will PAY....and PAY. Hope it helps. Still no power day 7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom