Philippines V Malaysia, Indonesia - honest comparison please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your list includes some of the best diving I have experienced...except for the gilis, great islands to spend time, but the diving was not on par with the rest of them (IMO). If you are in the PI while live aboards are going out to apo reef and tubbataha, I would think you could compare the dives with places like sipadan or the similans. If looking for the muck critters of lembeh, go to anilao, and consider a bit of diving around davao (especially the night dives). For something similar to bunaken, perhaps the walls of balicasag and cabilao would be worth checking out, and gensan has nice wall diving and offshore reefs. I don't know if you get into wrecks, but diving around coron offers good wrecks with macro critters to boot. Southern leyte really impressed me as well, along with apo island. etc...philippines is a great country to travel around and experience the many different dive opportunities.

I could go on, but my point is this... I think if you make the effort to check out the philippines, you should not be disappointed. Many places to dive, with great variety to offer. Best to have a longer bit of time to spend, so you can spend time in several places and find the place that suits you best. If you are limited for time but not concerned about cost, go when the live aboards are going out to coron/apo and tubbataha. Making a honest comparison based on your question means I have to say the diving around indonesia and malaysia is really hard to beat but if you enjoy traveling and diving new places you should be happy in the philippines, its a fun place to spend time.

Hi,

I would agree with that last comment "I think if you make the effort to check out the philippines, you should not be disappointed. "

However, I thought I would add that I have been diving for 20 years and just spent the whole month of February in Indonesia and the whole month of April in the Philippines. The differences: well, things are better organised in Indo, the levels of service are higher, the hotels are better quality in general. The food is generally a bit more interesting. So if you are looking for what I would call a 3-star trip, you may prefer Indo.

The PHilippines though are more of an adventure, everything is more unexpected, more of a surprise. Sometimes things are just wonderful, other times you just wonder why you bothered. But again, I am talking about hotels, dive shops and restaurants.

The diving between them is comparable... both very diverse, incredible animals and so on. I love both countries for all these things, so you know, you just need to do both!

Good luck.

I too am planning a month's holiday in the Philippines this September and would like to get some diving in as well naturally. What's the weather like there that time of year? Diving still feasible? :wink:

I too am planning a month's holiday in the Philippines this September and would like to get some diving in as well naturally. What's the weather like there that time of year? Diving still feasible? :wink:
september is towards teh tail end of the typhoon season (unless our world's crazy weather decides otherwise)

so diving all over the country is VERY feasible w/ some places like the visayas a bit further off the typhoon belt if you really don't want to chance is...

Jag

September - it would be better to go to Indonesia, or delay till October for the Philippines. The Visayas, definitely the safest bet though, but if you want to best bet for weather.... wait a little.

So can anyone recommend a specific dive centre & town for 2 young divers, that are only slightly experienced, that is good value and hos good diversity (no particular macro enthusiatsts) around Phillipines?

Would be apreciated..

So can anyone recommend a specific dive centre & town for 2 young divers, that are only slightly experienced, that is good value and hos good diversity (no particular macro enthusiatsts) around Phillipines?

Would be apreciated..

See Sharx Inside's reply June 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM. It is very informative & comprehensive...

Would be apreciated..
i'd recommend puerto galera given all your criteria...

btw, how "young" is young?

PG is not a retirement home for geriatric dive instructors, but there are a few spots that cater to tourists more... ummmm... carnal needs...

but it's generally an ok place to hang back, have a few beers and dive great diving

Jag

Back
Top Bottom