Philippine Diving Novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psterman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, this may be difficult to answer, but...I will be in Manila on busines at the end of January, and want to spend three days diving afterwards - after reading a number of reader reviews, I'm not sure where the "best" diving might be for those three days.

I'm thinking muck diving to see small and weird critters, although I'm certainly open to suggestions - I've dove Galapagos, throughout Caribbean, GBR, Vanuatu, French Polynesia, coastal California (where I live), Costa Rica, Hawaii (all islands) - so with that, what would be the recommendations of you experienced folks?

Thanks a lot.

Puerto Galera is a 2 hour drive south of Manila, with a 45 min boat ride to Sabang beach. Lot's of dive shops, and places to stay! Little LaLaguna beach is not far away, also with large selection of dive shops and places to stay! The most varied diving you can find in one stop!
Anilao/ Mabini is also a 2 hour drive south of Manila, with dozens of places to stay and dive shops.
Bohol, Cebu, Malapascua, Moalboal will require a flight to the central region.
Malapascua is a bus ride north with a boat ride! Thresher Sharks are the feature at Malapascua.
Moalboal is a bus ride southwest of Cebu city. Sardine runs can be enjoyed if in season.
Bohol would be a fast ferry ride, about 2 hours, the a 15 min. ride to Panglao Is.
All will give you GREAT diving !!
Subic Bay is 2 hours north of Manila, and features great wreck diving! Try Johans, or Boarwalk divers.

Hi, 3-days diving certainly doesn't permit another flight.
Perhaps others more knowledgable than myself can guide you, but as I see it you have 3-options:

1. Anilao - Great Macro
2. Puerto Galeria - General
3. Subic Bay - wrecks

I believe all the above can be accessed within 3 hrs of Manila.

Sincerely, Finbob

Many thanks, h2odragon1...lots of choice; so little time...I'm thinking of the Anilao area as it seems to offer some interesting critter diving...

Certainly not the closest place to Manila. but Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte offers outstanding macro and whale sharks.

Certainly not the closest place to Manila. but Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte offers outstanding macro and whale sharks.

Certainly NOT for someone who has ONLY three days to spend.
Day 1: A flight to Tacloban and 3hrs transfer to Padre Burgos. Couple of dive depending on your arrival at the resort.
Day 2: Dive but leaves enough time(18-24hrs) before flying.
Day 3: Back to Manila

Anilao(1st choice), PG and Subic are so much easier.

As Bob said, for macro/muck diving you'll get a lot of value from a trip to Anilao/Batangas. Secret Bay, especially, is a world-class muck dive. Drawbacks are a lack of convenient public transport - necessitating expensive private transfers (~$100 each way) for the (short) 2-hour trip from Manila. Many of the dive resorts are empty mon-fri, which also means boat trips are hard to schedule (although the shore diving is prestige). Resorts are isolated, so you need to be choosy when booking, as you can't wander anywhere else.

Subic is famous for wreck diving. It does have some muck/macro diving, but not as plentiful as Secret Bay. It's the easiest location to get to from Manila by cost-effective public transport - about ~250php for the 3-4 hour trip by air-con bus. Some nice western-orientated resorts and restaurants there and nightlife.

Puerto Galera is the great all-rounder. Good wall and reef dives, with some macro. Convenient public transport via bus/ferry. Some nightlife and options when you are there.

Certainly NOT for someone who has ONLY three days to spend.
Day 1: A flight to Tacloban and 3hrs transfer to Padre Burgos. Couple of dive depending on your arrival at the resort.
Day 2: Dive but leaves enough time(18-24hrs) before flying.
Day 3: Back to Manila

Anilao(1st choice), PG and Subic are so much easier.

Agree some other places are easier. But:
Day 0: evening flight to Tacloban and transfer to Padre Burgos. Or Day 1, 4.30am flight, arrive Padre Burgos c. 9.00am.
Day 1: Dive
Day 2: Dive
Day 3: Whale Sharks (snorkeling only)
Day 4: 5.50am flight, arrive Manila 6.30am
Also possible to do an early morning whale shark tour and get an evening flight back to Manila on Day 3.

Agree some other places are easier. But:
Day 0: evening flight to Tacloban and transfer to Padre Burgos. Or Day 1, 4.30am flight, arrive Padre Burgos c. 9.00am.
Day 1: Dive
Day 2: Dive
Day 3: Whale Sharks (snorkeling only)
Day 4: 5.50am flight, arrive Manila 6.30am
Also possible to do an early morning whale shark tour and get an evening flight back to Manila on Day 3.
I can think of several places which can do without the one way 3hrs land transfer eg. Bohol, Davao, Dumaguete and General Santos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom