Philippine ban workaround or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

always bring enough cash to cover the, "honey, i just stabbed a dude in a bar. we have to leave NOW!" scenario. I've never had to use it but its nice to know its rolled up inside one of my adult diapers, just in case.

From the US Department of State - Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. national parents may be both a U.S. national and a national of the country of birth. Or, an individual having one nationality at birth may naturalize at a later date in another country and become a dual national.

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so. In order to relinquish U.S. nationality by virtue of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign state, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Intent may be shown by the person’s statements and conduct.

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. It is important to note the problems attendant to dual nationality. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. [emphasis in original source] Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.
So he could use his US passport to leave and enter the US and use his Philippine passport to enter and leave the Philippines?
Are there ramifications doing this, legal or otherwise?

LOL. An American passport overseas is kept in one's wallet, and on display is instead, a Canadian flag sewn onto one's backpack. It has been many years that Americans travelled and proudly displayed their nationality.

LOL. An American passport overseas is kept in one's wallet and on display is instead a Canadian flag sewn onto one's backpack. It has been many years that Americans traveled and proudly displayed their nationality.

:popcorn:

So he could use his US passport to leave and enter the US and use his Philippine passport to enter and leave the Philippines?
Are there ramifications doing this, legal or otherwise?
Yes, you can and there are no legal ramifications. In fact many countries like the US require that you use your national passport when you enter and leave. Again, here's the Department of State on this (from the US Japanese embassy site, but there is identical wording on other embassy sites) Dual Nationality | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Japan

Which Passport to Use
Section 215 of the Immigration and Naturalization Act ( 8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. Citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2 of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter and leave that country using its passport, but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a requirement.

Note that this slightly mischaracterizes 8 USC 1185, which actually says "...it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport." The word bears is important because you don't actually have to use it, just have and show it if requested. Expect a massive (and IMO well-deserved) hassle if you as a US citizen insist on entering on a foreign passport, but it does matter for dual passport holders who are leaving for another country where they will be using their non-US passport for entry. In such cases, you will normally want to enter your non-US passport info when booking your airline ticket and show that passport to the airline personnel. But I'd still use the US passport when going through TSA or any US government inspections.

Here's a couple of non-official sources that verify this:

How to Do Two-Passport Travel

But when airline gate agents ask to see your passport, remember the reason they are doing so is to verify that you are actually allowed to go to the country that you bought your ticket to travel to; mistakes can cost airlines hefty fines. When you’re booking a ticket the passport information you enter should correspond to the passport with which you plan to enter your destination country. Airlines share their passenger manifests with the immigration authorities of the destination country, which is another good reason that the passport you show on arrival should match up with the one you showed at the gate.

Dual Citizens: Your Passport Questions Answered

Which passport should I use to book my flight?
If you need to provide passport details to book an international flight, you should use the same passport that you will use to enter your destination country. It’s OK for you to check in for your return flight using your non-US passport, and then pull out your US passport to clear US immigration and customs.

LOL. An American passport overseas is kept in one's wallet and on display is instead a Canadian flag sewn onto one's backpack. It has been many years that Americans travelled and proudly displayed their nationality.
Yeah, definitely LOL. When i lived in Europe in the late 60s/early 70s (the Nixon and Vietnam years), I had a Canadian flag on my backpack....

From the US Department of State - Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. ...
Great article. As you pointed out, each country has its own laws. While the USA may say you are a US Citizen and not a citizen of another country, the other country may have their own view of that. Example: US Citizen gives birth in another country. Born of US Citizens the child is US Citizen, but the country of birth who issues the birth certificate (US Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not the birth certificate) will (as the USA does) say a child born in this country is a citizen of this country.

My first born child has a birth certificate in German, English, French and Russian. Born in West Berlin just a short 110 miles east of the East/West German Border in the years when the Berlin Wall (a circle around West Berlin not a line) was still up. I was stationed there as part of the Occupation Army. At that time my child would have been considered a German Citizen.

Another thing to keep in mind is that laws change. Current German Law does not so easily grant German Citizenship to the children of non-Citizens born in Germany now.

OP, what has your friend so desperate to travel he’s looking for ways to get around the ban? Is he willing to take the chance he might end up quarantined or unable to get home?

Great article. As you pointed out, each country has its own laws. While the USA may say you are a US Citizen and not a citizen of another country, the other country may have their own view of that. Example: US Citizen gives birth in another country. Born of US Citizens the child is US Citizen, but the country of birth who issues the birth certificate (US Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not the birth certificate) will (as the USA does) say a child born in this country is a citizen of this country.

My first born child has a birth certificate in German, English, French and Russian. Born in West Berlin just a short 110 miles east of the East/West German Border in the years when the Berlin Wall (a circle around West Berlin not a line) was still up. I was stationed there as part of the Occupation Army. At that time my child would have been considered a German Citizen.

Another thing to keep in mind is that laws change. Current German Law does not so easily grant German Citizenship to the children of non-Citizens born in Germany now.
It doesn't always work that way. I was born in the Philippines on Clark air force base (now gone) as my folks were stationed there. I was given a regular birth certificate. I've never asked an official about it, but my father told me it was because the AFB is considered American soil.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I saw signs at Manila airport (flew in yesterday) stating that while Philippine nationals are allowed entry from banned countries, they're also required to undergo a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Factor that into your travel plans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom