Philippine ban workaround or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So he could use his US passport to leave and enter the US and use his Philippine passport to enter and leave the Philippines?
Are there ramifications doing this, legal or otherwise?

Well.... i would highly recommend to check these things before entering the country when you do not leave there and maybe are not up to date with laws.
Again a quote from the German Consular Services in regards to Egypt:
Persons with such dual citizenship [German / Egyptian] are fully subject to Egyptian laws once they are in Egypt (including compulsory military service, family law provisions).
That's not a discussion you would like to have when heading for holidays...
I know of Germans with a Turkish passport getting into trouble when visiting long time not seen relatives in Turkey and not reminding of the military service or assuming that German citizenship will protect them.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I saw signs at Manila airport (flew in yesterday) stating that while Philippine nationals are allowed entry from banned countries, they're also required to undergo a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Factor that into your travel plans.

Quoting IATA where you can find information for all countries:
PHILIPPINES - published 28.02.2020

1. Passengers who have transited through or have been in China (People’s Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China) or Macao (SAR China) in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the Philippines.
- This does not apply to nationals of the Philippines. They will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from their arrival into the Philippines.
- This does not apply to spouses or children of nationals of the Philippines. They will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from their arrival into the Philippines.
- This does not apply to permanent residents of the Philippines. They will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from their arrival into the Philippines.

2. Passengers who have transited through or have been in the North Gyeongsang Province (including Daegu and Cheongdo Country) of Korea (Rep.) in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the Philippines.
- This does not apply to nationals of the Philippines.
- This does not apply to spouses or children of nationals of the Philippines.
- This does not apply to permanent residents of the Philippines.

I am pretty sure Philippines Immigration must have record on people, all nationals, arriving and departing the country. Using separate passport just won't do.

I just heard that my friend was able to cancel the award ticket with AA with no penalty and will now book a flight to Manila via Tokyo. The original routing was Cebu via Hong Kong.
I hope Japan stays off the banned list for his sake lol.

Japan? How long before the US is on those lists?

So he could use his US passport to leave and enter the US and use his Philippine passport to enter and leave the Philippines?
Are there ramifications doing this, legal or otherwise?

In every country that allows dual citizenship, a person must enter the country where they have citizenship with the passport of that country,.

A US /Philippine MUST do as mentioned above.

As a Philippine citizen, he would not have any US consular representation in the Philippines. If he entered say Korea on his Philippine passport, then likewise he would not be eligible for US diplomatic services in Korea.

You cannot change back and forth at will, the only time you have the ability to declare what citizenship you wish to be treated as is when you enter a country and if it is one of your countries of citizenship, then you have to use that passport.

He cannot enter the Philippines on his US passport, nor utilize any US consular services in the Philippines.

A friend posed an interesting question: the Philippines is restricting travelers from affected areas but this does not apply to Philippine nationals.
As a dual citizen, (US and Philippines) who lives in the US, should he travel using his Philippine passport if transiting through an affected area?

I would think having the protection of the US overrides permission to enter.

Any thoughts?

Some countries require dual citizens to enter on the country of citizenship for that country. A dual national say of USA or Australia cannot enter on a foreign passport. I believe that is also the case for the Philippines which only recently allowed dual nationality.

In every country that allows dual citizenship, a person must enter the country where they have citizenship with the passport of that country,..

Not so. The UK allows UK nationals to enter on a foreign passport which is stamped with permanent leave to remain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom