Phi Phi Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So guys, just how good is the diving in and around the Phi Phi islands?

Nice, easy diving, great if you like macro photography, leopard sharks and turtles not infrequent.

You can reach PhiPhi easily from Krabi (it's a bit longer from Phuket), please be advised that the island is getting very dirty and they are seriously considering shutting it off for tourism for a couple of years in order to clean it up.

There is some good diving there. Around the Islands themselves and you have good access to Anemone Reef, King Cruiser and Shark Point. Also Hin Deng/Hin Muang are much closer to Phi Phi than Phuket. Vis is also a lot better since you are further out.

South end of Phi Phi is as Chiara says getting overrun and scruffy. There is a resort or two at the North Esat corner which don't suffer these problems. However, they are self contained and so the only way of getting to the main drag is a boat (there are no raods on Phi Phi).

Just back from 3 weeks of touring Thailand and we spent an additional 6 nights on Phi Phi....returned on 11/18/02
If they are thinking about shutting down the island to tourist, I think they might be about 2 years late. The average age of the tourists on the island has to be about 23. The garbage situation is almost unbelievable... mounds of it all over the isand. The smell of dope is in every bar and resturant, and there are more massage houses per capita in Phi Phi than anywhere else in Thailand. When the tide goes out, there is a thick oil residue that covers the sand from all the long tail boats.

On the other hand, the food is still cheap. (1/2 a chicken, bake potato, ear of corn, salad, and a beer for about $ 1.95) and although I don't have a ton of dive expirence, I felt that the diving was great. We dove with Phi Phi Scuba Diving Center. They were very professional, and well organized. We did 10 dives in 4 days, and other than being slightly crowded on the dive deck, it was enjoyable. We dove the King Cruiser, Bidah Nai, Shark Point, Annemone Reef, just to name a few. The coral was vibrant, the fish were plentful, and the water was warm. Not much in big guys, but millions of smaller fish. Tons of Leopard sharks. Cottle Fish by the ton, giant clams, and more. It was a good expirence as far as I was concerned.

We stayed at the Phi Phi Princess for 6 nights in a beach side bungalow for about $75. per night with breakfast included.
All and all a good trip.

Next up for me is the Aqua Cat in April, Nekton in June, Little Cayman Resort in August, and Costa Rica in November...
Phil

Dear Jive Turkey
I dived on Phi Phi a couple of years ago and stayed up at Laem Thong Bay on the north east corner of the island. The resort was exquisite and the diving very good. We did the usual tourist dives and then did some exploring in a longtail with just a boat-man and some tanks. We found some really nice diving off Mosquito and Bamboo Islands a kilometre or so offshore, no other divers and lots of marine life, good photography sites. Also the two large islands south of Phi Phi Lae (I think Koh Bida Nok & Koh Bida Nai) had some really nice spots.
If you would like to contact me off line I will send you a copy of an article I wrote for an Australian Dive magazine on the area.
reefimages@yahoo.com.au
Regards
Reefwalker

Hey Jonathon, you diving Phi Phi as well as the liveaboard. I'm there from 30 December 02. Proberbly going land based with the Swiss Phi Phi Scuba Diving Center because of the quick boat to Hin Muang & Daeng. will do that on two days.

Thought I was staying at Amari Coral in Phuket (was just wishful thinking) I'm actually in the far, far, far cheaper Coconut Village arriving 22 Dec.

23rd - 4 dives at Racha Noi with Warm Water Divers inc Night Dive

25th - doing Anemone/Shark Point/King Cruiser with Warm Water Divers

Boat is apparantly comfortable and offers Nitrox at 250 bhat per fill.

26th - 29th Similan/Richlieu on The Junk

Still on for that beer?

Neil

sure am! It could be tight though. I'm arriving 21st

22nd (evening) to 26th evening Similian, Richilieu, Koh Bon & Koh Tachi
27th (evening) to 29th evening Hin Deang, Hin Muang, Koh Ha Yai & Phi Phi

Then staying in Phuket until morning of the 2nd. When I get back from the live aboard diving I'm staying in Phuket Arcadia Beech Resort which is in Karon just down the road.

Less than a month now - bring it on!

looks like our schedules just completely clash, The only time we are on Phuket at the same time is Evening 29th, I am staying on The Junk that night before transfering to Phi Phi in the morning. What boat are you on, might be a possibility but hey theres still another place another time.

Neil

I'll be on MV Colona VI - I guess the Junk will be easier to spot so I'll try and come and find you at least to say hi!

Happy travels - 18 days to go!!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom