Phi Phi after the Tsunami - Report and Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Batfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On the 14th June, we (Jamie and Gilbert) from Sunrise Divers visited Phi Phi. Please follow the link below for a report and photos.

Phi Phi After the Tsunami - Report from 14th June 2005

I have tried to keep the report balanced. Naturally, as we promote diving trips to Phi Phi, I could be very biased and show only the nice photos, but the truth is a better picture to paint. I always liked Phi Phi (at least for a visit, I never wanted to live there). The natural beauty is still there. The tsunami has only destroyed what people have added. some of the village is fixed up, and I think looks better than before. Some is still damaged, and some is just gone. Permission to rebuild has not yet been granted. We were told by the Thai manager of a dive shop, who has lived on Phi Phi for 16 years, that businesses will be allowed to rebuild, but to certain standards. It remains to be seen what those standards are, but the part of the village that is undamaged looked very nice to me.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion on Phi Phi. I hope to take another trip over soon with my wife.

Many thanks for your report. I spent two great weeks there in 2001 and do hope to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom