PG to Dumaguete by land...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies for the non diving thread but I wanted to pick peoples brains.

Next month I plan to drive from PG to Roxas, get a ferry to Caticlan, drive to IloIlo, get a ferry to Bacalod, and then drive to Dumaguete(Dauin).

What I'm looking for are any obvious flaws in the plan which i have not spotted; and/or advice on neat little mom and pop places to stay on the way(bed, food and beer are the only requirements...oh and dog friendly places as Lumpy will be my navigator). I am not in a big rush, figuring I need somewhere to stay near Roxas, maybe, and definitely somewhere on Panay Island on the way to IloIlo and probably break up the trip to Dumaguete on Negros with one overnight.

Look forward to hearing some thoughts.

Cheers,

Matt.

matt- u don't need to pass by roxas anymore if you are coming from caticlan. you can go straight to iloilo via kalibo (i think there is another less popular route that would cut the travel by an hour an a half). if you arrive in caticlan before lunchtime, you should be able to arrive in iloilo before dusk. but well, why not jump in a boat to reach boracay for some good, seafood lunch?

i think it is better to spend the night there, accommodation wise. then you can leave early in the morning for iloilo. travel is always best in the morning. there are no shortages of accommodation in iloilo but get the newer ones as the old ones are really old! it surprised me to find out that iloilo was developed earlier than bacolod and yet, the latter is more urban than it.

do not miss their local delicacy: la paz bachoy. nobody can prepare it like the ilonggo.

ferries to bacolod sails every hour til 6pm. do not miss the CHICKEN INASAL in Bacolod. nobody can cook it like the negrenses :D. there are two ways to reach Dumaguete from Bacolod: via San Carlos (my hometown!) or via Kabankalan (shorter trip).

Not sure but Caticlan will be closed to vehicle transport soon. They will disembark at Lipata (literally next to our new house) then it's National Highway all the way to Iloilo. Nice road and lots to see.

Hi baby, if you've got anymore info on that I'd appreciate it - cant see Lipata on the map i have, is it down the west coast? Will there be ro-ro's?

Cheers

The plan is for the Ro-Ro to start in Lipata next month. Lipata is the small finger of land that sticks out due west (just north of Culasi). Look for the islands just off Culasi (three islands). Call MBRS lines for the exact details.

ROAD TRIP! Can I stowaway? :D Hi Sir Matt. Lumpy's gonna have some company when he gets here. Bring his muzzle, hehe. And try to convince him not to take on the rottweiler that strolls down the beach from time to time.

If you're planning to make Bacolod-Dumaguete an overnyt trip then go via San Carlos. Road is easier, more to see, and lots of places to stay in San Carlos. Ask Magz for tips on where to stay.

Oh, and pasalubong raw sabi ni Ma'am Bigs.

Ingat sa biyahe,
marku

I would go to Guimaras.....those folks are really L A I D back.

if you're not in a rush i'd pass by roxas...

especially if you're into seafood... crabs and prawns are dirt cheap there and mighty fresh... stayed at some inn near the city plaza (roxas president inn i believe)... quaint and clean place i must say

Jag

Back
Top Bottom