Petrel One Battery Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a bit of an exaggeration. Hours are on the Shearwater page for Petrel 2. This is obviously not doing rebreather communication but it's all relative
SAFT's if you get a real one have ~2250mah/100hrs
Duracell coppertops ~2500mah/35hrs
Energizer Ultimate Lithium ~3000mah/50hrs
Li-Ion 14500-35hrs *this one is weird because the article is very old, but it is probably off of ~700mah cells give a third of the capacity of SAFT's*
NiMH Rechargeable-30hrs, again not sure which ones they used, but 30hrs is reasonable.

IF you have a good charger, which most people don't, but that's the key, AND you are checking the cells capacity say twice a year and making sure it is within spec, I have not had any of the high end Eneloop NiMH's or the 14500's I've used have any lower battery life than a standard copper top. Ultimate lithium's and SAFT's obviously are better, but not for the money and the waste factor.

Try the times on a backup light. I agree they are similar on something small drain like Shearwater.

Try the times on a backup light. I agree they are similar on something small drain like Shearwater.

but we're talking about a Shearwater, not a backup light... Also it does track accurately on a backup light where the rechargeables have about a third of the burn time of alkaline since they have about a third of the capacity.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Do you have recommendations please tbone1004

I use the same one as in the 18650's. I'm on phone now so don't have search ease, but the Opus charge/tester is the easiest to use and is a good one. If you search opus on here it should bring up some long posts about chargers/testers. We were talking about them a week or two ago

Wonderful, tbone1004 Britannica

Those photos, I don't know which was which, one worked, the other from ebay but local did not work

I bought "Saft" from RS Components but stopped buying them and buy photo lithium whatever that is
They work well

I think batteries more frequently is better than fewer longer, like tyres

However with what the encyclopedia tbone1004 says about rechargeables, it's something to look into

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom