Petrel capacitor failure and firmware update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater says there will be no loss of functionality with the new firmware update. They are not offering to repair it, though I haven't pushed. They said it would require replacing the entire board. Its sort of a pain in !$@#$@ for me to ship it to them and deal with customs on the return. Though it is actually only 18 months old with 100 dives or so.

Anyone try the petrel 2? is the compass any good? The suunto digital compasses in their dive comps were useless. Currently I dive with the petrel and a suunto sk7 on my left forearm. It would be nice to have less clunkage.

Sorry, I'm a little confused, will the firmware update fix the issue/s?

Sorry, I'm a little confused, will the firmware update fix the issue/s?

Shearwater said that the new firmware will store the tissue data in a new location and that the data won't be lost during battery swap, even if the super capacitor has failed. They also said that there would be no functionality loss. I guess that if that did work, you could make future Petrel's without the SC, no?

Shearwater said that the new firmware will store the tissue data in a new location and that the data won't be lost during battery swap, even if the super capacitor has failed. They also said that there would be no functionality loss. I guess that if that did work, you could make future Petrel's without the SC, no?

Thanks for the clarification. I guess if they leave the SC in there then you have redundancy should it fail?

I run the Petrel 2. I'm thinking the super capacitor needs to be in there for clock and timing to keep them running and not make you reset them every time the battery is out. The rest of the functions are record data that can be written to memory and stay that way until you change it, I'm guessing.

To answer the compass question:
Yes, I like the compass feature but it has some disadvantages such as use of it takes up screen space and some data is out of view or shifted.
Also, if you carry a dedicated compass you see the entire compass face and sides. For good navigators, looking at any side of the compass gives you an indication of what direction you are facing, regardless of alignment. With the electronic compass, you only see a partial slice of the compass and in two dimensions.
To be honest, I used compasses more now than ever because I have it and the prior dedicated compass I considered clutter I didn't need.
One advantage is the compass is tilt compensated. Even if you tilt the unit 90 vertical(or down), the compass still works correctly.
The old physical compass needed gentle shaking to make sure it wasn't jammed or stuck and I had to hold it level all the time.
Also, you can calibrate it whenever you change your batteries or have extra magnetic fields around you (the batteries have a slight magnetic field). Calibration takes a minute and you can do it anytime by rotating the unit in several axis in "cal mode".
I used to love magnetic clips and cords and now I got rid of all of them. Speaking of...does anyone know where to by dozens of feet of spring coiled plastic cordage (looks like old telephone speaker and microphone coil) to make your own spring back cords for tools so we don't drop/lose them.

Last edited:
Each time my Petrel1 failed to restore tissue during a battery swap, it retained date/time and other dive settings, just no dive log or tissue data. Luckily, they were at the end of a dive series, but i'm planning on a 2week trip later in the year that will necessitate at battery changes.

I run the Petrel 2. I'm thinking the super capacitor needs to be in there for clock and timing to keep them running and not make you reset them every time the battery is out. The rest of the functions are record data that can be written to memory and stay that way until you change it, I'm guessing.

Just an update. Shearwater sent me an email saying that the firmware update won't be released until closer to year end. They've offered to repair my existing unit instead of making me wait, so off it goes to a service center. I did ask if it was possible to upgrade it to the petrel 2 while they are replacing the mainboard, but unfortunately not possible. They were very prompt in getting back to me and quick to provide solutions. Already an awesome computer + amazing customer service = best dive comp you can buy in my view.

Last update. I sent my petrel to a service center in NZ, got it back a week later. They replaced the main board, gave me a new VPM code, replaced my scratched screen and battery covers as well as the straps. Heck, they may have replaced the whole thing for all I can tell.

An already great computer + spectacular customer service = IMO, the best computer you can buy.

Fantastic to hear!!! We all know the great customer service they deliver, this is just another example why serious divers use their products. They stick to their guns and innovate continuously. I am not sure the rest of the pack will ever catch up.......

Shearwater released v29 for the petrel. Some nice functions such as mini compass display in the centre row while viewing the rest of your information. Some folk have complained about the compass taking up the entire screen. If I understand it corectly the unit now also messure pressure even if the unit is switched off, eliminating potential errors when diving the unit at altitude.

Shearwater listen to their customers and refine their products and services contiously, that is why they are the leaders hands down. The rest of the pack has a mountain to climb if they want to challenge.

Shearwater's firmware update that added a recreational mode to the Petrel is the best example of how much ahead of the pack they are. Other's would create a toned-down rec model to capture more consumer surplus, or keep it as a new feature for the next model. Shearwater released it fairly quickly and for free when planned obsolesces is increasingly the norm.

Fantastic to hear!!! We all know the great customer service they deliver, this is just another example why serious divers use their products. They stick to their guns and innovate continuously. I am not sure the rest of the pack will ever catch up.......

Shearwater released v29 for the petrel. Some nice functions such as mini compass display in the centre row while viewing the rest of your information. Some folk have complained about the compass taking up the entire screen. If I understand it corectly the unit now also messure pressure even if the unit is switched off, eliminating potential errors when diving the unit at altitude.

Shearwater listen to their customers and refine their products and services contiously, that is why they are the leaders hands down. The rest of the pack has a mountain to climb if they want to challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom