Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok good,
because I have seen SOME non-photographers do that, SOME new divers, SOME resort divers, SOME divers with 100s of dives ,
SOME American divers,
SOME Chinese divers,
SOME males but also SOME females…

Anyhow, there is a way of saying it without offending the divers that enjoy photography but also are very aware of marine ecological issues any many are very excellent divers.

As a side point, I would love to debate what is the most effective and impressionable impact on general public as far as stopping water pollution, over-fishing, invasive species… I bet one photo or video would worth 1000 words :) in the argument. Or at least 500 :)
SOME Texans

People who kick me in the head with their fins trying to race over and get a cute picture of a fish.

That arrogant look many athletic muscled young men give middleaged female me when they watch me dragging my tank on the boat (especially if they don´t help).
I do enjoy the look on their faces though when we have to give our dive parameters and I was 20m deeper for 20 minutes longer than them. :D of course I won´t tell them there is no other skill involved than small size and less muscles...

People who kick me in the head with their fins trying to race over and get a cute picture of a fish.
but I got a really good pic! :stirpot: :wink: :oops: :p :poke:

That arrogant look many athletic muscled young men give middleaged female me when they watch me dragging my tank on the boat (especially if they don´t help).
I do enjoy the look on their faces though when we have to give our dive parameters and I was 20m deeper for 20 minutes longer than them. :D of course I won´t tell them there is no other skill involved than small size and less muscles...
Every year everybody else look younger and younger.

when people say:

"I got my PADI" or "I did my PADI"

Also when some backpacker stumbles across Koh Tao smashes out there IDC from 0 to hero in a month and now they can not stop bragging about how there an OWI and act like they are the best divers ever and know everything about diving.

"Flippers" and "goggles."

The diver on the boat who starts conversations with, "So, how many dives do you have?" and then proceeds to tell you about their hundreds or thousands of dives from around the world in order to impress you. (For some reason, they all look like absolute crap as soon as they hit the water).

The diver on the boat who starts conversations with, "So, how many dives do you have?" and then proceeds to tell you about their hundreds or thousands of dives from around the world in order to impress you. (For some reason, they all look like absolute crap as soon as they hit the water).
I have a lot of dives on a lot of boats, but I have rarely experienced this. The first and most memorable time was more than 20 years ago in Cozumel. The middle aged guy and his new trophy wife (not a guess) got on the boat. She was newly certified and admitted some fear. Her husband announced to the boat that if anything happened, we were in good hands, because he was a certified Rescue Diver. He even showed us his card. I believe he was one of the worst divers I have ever seen. The DM literally held his hand for most of the dives. The newly certified wife, on the other hand, was pretty good--she looked like a veteran.

If someone talks up their skill without actually having it, I assume they are innerly worried and trying to convince themselves in order to overcome their fears. On a long boat ride to a dive site, I sat next to two older and (I knew) highly experienced and skilled divers. One of them said that despite his long history of diving, he still got worried every time he started to put on his gear. His buddy said, "I start to get worried every time I see you putting on your gear, too."

Some people never get over that fear and they have different ways of coping with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom