Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really a pet peeve, but a bit of strangeness: A couple of months ago I went with my daughter to a local pool to help her prepare for her upcoming open water check-out. (She was wearing her full check-out gear for the first time.)

Another diver arrived alone and asked if he could dive with us. (The scuba instructor who makes the pool available does not want people diving solo during these unstructured pool sessions.)

I explained to him what my daughter and I were doing, but I could keep him in my peripheral vision if he stayed nearby.

When my daughter and I (and he) exited the pool at the end of our practice session, as I was debriefing my daughter, he proceeded to chat about all the places he has been diving.

Why do some divers feel compelled to recount the various amazing places they have dove? It seems that even if you are both on your surface interval, having just surfaced from an amazing dive on a deep reef in Grand Cayman or a deep wreck in Lake Superior, some divers will nevertheless go on and on, incessantly, about some other amazing dive they made somewhere or other. It never fails. Even with pool "dives", it seems. I have always found this behavior curious.

rx7diver
I love hearing about other people’s dives, I don’t see the problem except that he interrupted the debrief.

Back
Top Bottom