Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So here it goes maybe some of you can relate to what I have to say and perhaps add into it.

I hate it when there are new OW divers always wants an experienced diver one with a 100 or so dives to go and dive with them no if and or buts.

In reality every diver starts with "0" under their belts. That makes things hard for me to go diving. To be honest with all of you I would not mind diving with a fresh student like myself so we both can learn, together instead of mostly playing "catch up" with an experienced diver.

Lots of divers are really cocky but I guess it's like that for every sport, hobby or even job.

Even more likes to stress about what brand a diver "should" have and are quick to judge another diver or a potential diver for the gear they have or planning to have and shove their opinion down the unfortunate person's throat. How do you all approach to these annoying people?

The legendary splits verses paddle fin debate....

What gear should I have? Why don't most just do research about it. I am sure the same people that asks this type of question would actually sit down and think for many nights at a time wondering what automobile and brand of automobile would be best for their needs.

Finding a great Local Dive Shop is always very hard, too. Lots of them wants to sound like car salesmen and reach into our pockets. I love supporting the brick and mortar shops, I do it all the time.

The MAP or MSRP that scuba companies puts up and does not give enough leeway for dive shops to work with in the first place I would say this actually makes a dying sport like this suffer more than it has to.

Let's see oh yeah, agencies and what training the individual might have taken and hearing lame excuses why one agency is better than the other.

I would love to see a day I may meet another diver that won't try to tell me or push me their opinions and dive merrily and sing "kum-ba-ya."

What have all of you encountered? Does any of you agree? Thanks.

Go diving and relax...You cant control most of these things...but you can control your reaction to them. I learned some time ago that you will be happier and live a lot longer if you ignore or accept some of these things.

Danm...does this mean I am getting old??:D

Good luck,
U/O

My pet peeve (and this isn't even specific to diving...) is when someone who is brand new and has very little experience refuses to listen to someone who has gotten some experience and struggled through the same things before. For example, I took two new divers out yesterday, and the surface was a bit choppy. I got through the surf zone, got my fins on, and was waiting for them to join me. The two of them were struggling to get their fins on with their stupid snorkels in their mouths....as the surf crashes over them, I keep yelling to them to put regs in their mouths. After 5+ minutes of this happening, they finally get out to where I am and I mention to them that I was trying to tell them to put regs in their mouths and they responded, "we didn't want to waste our gas." I was appalled....is "wasting" your gas worse than sucking down water through a stupid snorkel?

I hate hate hate when I go out of my way to try to help someone, point them in the right direction, or help them avoid going through some of the same crap I had to learn the hard way and they just blow me off. Whenever I dive with experienced divers, I pick their brains....I watch what they do and try to emulate it. I do what I can to make the learning process easier for myself....so when I give my tips and tricks out, I'm amazed that people want to do the same stupid crap instead of doing it the easy, tried-and-true way. Gah....

I hate when people say that they are going to stab any OOA diver who panics and goes for their primary reg instead of the Octo. Another pet peeve are CPR certified people who say they won't perform CPR on anyone other than their family members.

I'm not a big fan of opinionated blow hards on the internet.

My pet peeve (and this isn't even specific to diving...) is when someone who is brand new and has very little experience refuses to listen to someone who has gotten some experience and struggled through the same things before. For example, I took two new divers out yesterday, and the surface was a bit choppy.
I hate hate hate when I go out of my way to try to help someone, point them in the right direction, or help them avoid going through some of the same crap I had to learn the hard way and they just blow me off. Whenever I dive with experienced divers, I pick their brains....I watch what they do and try to emulate it. I do what I can to make the learning process easier for myself....so when I give my tips and tricks out, I'm amazed that people want to do the same stupid crap instead of doing it the easy, tried-and-true way. Gah....

Wait till you have kids...:D

ligersanditions gave sound advice, if only more people would heed it, I wouldn't have to make so many rescues.

I'm not a big fan of opinionated blow hards on the internet.

Hmmm ... never had you pegged for someone with self-esteem issues ... :shocked2: :D :lotsalove:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom