Personal Top Ten?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to Palau next month, so this may change ...

1) Truk - three fantastic trips
2) Galapagos
3) Cocos
4) Komodo
5) UK south coast - too many trips to mention, most brilliant
6) Maldives - two great trips, one rubbish trip
7) Socorro
8) Saba
9) Isles of Lundy & Isles of Scilies
10) Red Sea ... some of it, not all of it been there ten times, it's not all great so this is an average

Those that did not make my top ten

Cayman
India
Dubai
Turk & Caicos
Sea of Cortez
Barbados
Oman
Wraysbury Lake - sorry guys!
Stoney, Dosti ....

Keeping the OP's priorities in mind (nice coral, in particular) I would delete Galapagos and Cocos from any list, even though they offer fabulous diving. I would also delete most of the Caribbean, which does not, for the most part, have great coral. There is an island in Komodo Park that has an incredibly lush and healthy reef that comes right to the surface! You can snorkel in two feet of water. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the island, but it will be on the northern part of the itinerary of any Komodo liveaboard, I would expect. Don't like liveaboards? If you're not on a budget, check out the Amanwana, on Moyo Island, east of Bali.

My list is pretty diverse, but the problem is that most of those dives would require that you travel back in time as well as in space. I'll just put the Carmel California area kelp forests, especially Pt. Lobos at the absolute top of my list.

My personal top ten based on marinelife are:

Cocos Islands, Costa Rica
Guadalupe Island, Mexico
Raja Ampat, Indonesia
Socorro Islands, Mexico
Kona, Hawaii
Southern Red Sea,
Malapascua, Phillipines
Galapogos, Equador
Cook Islands
Utila, Honduras

But this does change quite frequently! There are just too many places i want to go! :)

Back
Top Bottom