personal dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a 22 ft Mac sailboat that seems to be just the right size. Its small enough for us to trailer it from here in KY down to the Fl Keys no problem, yet has plenty of space for our gear nad four divers. Sure it costs a few more dollars in gas pulling it that far, but soon pays for itself. $40 per trip on a dive boat, 4 divers, you do the math! Have fun!

Hey All,

I need to get some input on rigging my pontoon boat for scuba diving. It is 28 feet long so there is plenty of deck space for divers. I am going to remove the seat forward of the helm on both sides and install bench seating. Here is my question -- how do you think using aluminum bench frames with the new synthetic deck boards as the seats and back? These benches will provide seating for three on each side, no worries about getting them wet and are light. I will set a rack system in the center to accommodate the cylinders so they won't be under foot. I may also extend the fence to the front of the boat as fishing won't be the primary purpose of this boat. This would give me an extra 2' of usable space. I am also considering installing a marine toilet on the aft section of the boat. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Go to the boating section of the forum.

We currently use a 19 foot Boston Whaler Outrage. Also have and have used extensively a 14 foot Novurania Cancuro inflatable and occasionally when I can get it to water an OK Scupper Pro TW kayak.

P6150430.jpg

The BW is easy to trailer, seaworthy when it needs to be, reasonably fast when it needs to be and dives my wife and I and we would rarely invite anyone to go with us anyways. We have Roll Control for holding the tanks, Humminbird Sidescanning sonar and two GPS units for locating dive sites, 300 feet of anchor rode and the usualy first aid kits, flares and safety equipment and a PLB along with a VHF with GPS output (DSC type).

The boating industry does not make very many dive specific boats, BW does or has at various times. Seems to be an under tapped market if you ask me.

We have found that boats in the 18 to 22 foot range, center console type (or probably the walk around cuddy cabin as well) are easiest to deal with and sufficiently capable to get to dive locations and economical to operate. Once you grow to twins, 24-30 foot range the operating costs, tow vehicles, storage etc become too much for many. Boats, all boats, are expensive to own only exceeded by aircraft in being a continuing money drain and maybe motor homes.

I will tell you one thing, in the center console market the metal T top is the status symbol and everybody wants one, for diving and staying out of the sun and for those of us who are fair and blue eyed and burn, a bimini top is much more practical. In smaller boats I also think that a bimini is more seaworthy as it's windage can be removed in a storm by stowing it.

N

This is what I have...
sea ray.jpg

but check this website out for what I would like http://munsonboats.com/

Either way, make sure to have ample deck space, a good ladder, plenty of storage, and if you are ever considering overnighters at the islands, maybe a cabin...I bought my boat before I thought about diving out of it, and now I'd like to sell it and get something a lot bigger. I'd like the SeaSwirl Striper 3301. Big, good deck space, cabin, can get twin diesels on the 2901, and seaworthy...so many boats to chose from...someday I'll talk the wife into getting rid of this one and getting a cruiser or sportfisher

I have a 16' Starcraft aluminum runabout from the 60's. The entire thing has been gutted and all that is left is the floor and a bow cover. With tiller steering in the back, a 35 horse gets it up on a plane with 3 divers and gear and I can pull it with a 4 cylinder.

I built a swim step and a ladder out of steel gas pipe. It's solid as a rock and easily allows me to climb in in full gear. The steps are enclosed though, so I do have to remove my fins first. I also built removable tank holders so we can store up to 6 tanks upright.

This is what I have...
View attachment 75880

but check this website out for what I would like Munson Aluminum Boats - Custom welded aluminum boats, landing craft, workboats, patrol boats, fire boats, passenger boats, dive boats, research boats, fishing boats, boom boats

Either way, make sure to have ample deck space, a good ladder, plenty of storage, and if you are ever considering overnighters at the islands, maybe a cabin...I bought my boat before I thought about diving out of it, and now I'd like to sell it and get something a lot bigger. I'd like the SeaSwirl Striper 3301. Big, good deck space, cabin, can get twin diesels on the 2901, and seaworthy...so many boats to chose from...someday I'll talk the wife into getting rid of this one and getting a cruiser or sportfisher

Oh man, just checked out the link... that is a sweet boat... don't think my partner (wife) would consider that right now... but what a dream aye... our pontoon boat gives us lots of deck space and stability... Since we don't go out into the ocean she will suit us fine once I get her retro fitted... but that is the fun part...

We currently use a 19 foot Boston Whaler Outrage. Also have and have used extensively a 14 foot Novurania Cancuro inflatable and occasionally when I can get it to water an OK Scupper Pro TW kayak.

P6150430.jpg

The BW is easy to trailer, seaworthy when it needs to be, reasonably fast when it needs to be and dives my wife and I and we would rarely invite anyone to go with us anyways. We have Roll Control for holding the tanks, Humminbird Sidescanning sonar and two GPS units for locating dive sites, 300 feet of anchor rode and the usualy first aid kits, flares and safety equipment and a PLB along with a VHF with GPS output (DSC type).

The boating industry does not make very many dive specific boats, BW does or has at various times. Seems to be an under tapped market if you ask me.

We have found that boats in the 18 to 22 foot range, center console type (or probably the walk around cuddy cabin as well) are easiest to deal with and sufficiently capable to get to dive locations and economical to operate. Once you grow to twins, 24-30 foot range the operating costs, tow vehicles, storage etc become too much for many. Boats, all boats, are expensive to own only exceeded by aircraft in being a continuing money drain and maybe motor homes.

I will tell you one thing, in the center console market the metal T top is the status symbol and everybody wants one, for diving and staying out of the sun and for those of us who are fair and blue eyed and burn, a bimini top is much more practical. In smaller boats I also think that a bimini is more seaworthy as it's windage can be removed in a storm by stowing it.

N

Thanks for reminding me about the additional anchor line, the lake we dive primarily is quite deep and we will be running dual anchor lines... Thanks for all the information I appreciate it...

I have a 16' Starcraft aluminum runabout from the 60's. The entire thing has been gutted and all that is left is the floor and a bow cover. With tiller steering in the back, a 35 horse gets it up on a plane with 3 divers and gear and I can pull it with a 4 cylinder.

I built a swim step and a ladder out of steel gas pipe. It's solid as a rock and easily allows me to climb in in full gear. The steps are enclosed though, so I do have to remove my fins first. I also built removable tank holders so we can store up to 6 tanks upright.

I like your idea about using the gas pipe ladder, I will have to explore that further... thanks...

P6150430.jpg

N

Nice rig Nemrod. Reminds me of my 20 ft Chris Craft Center Console Seahawk. I had my tanks rigged the same way but found it ate up to much space in the aft end so I built a drop in ( Marine 3/4 ply, Marine Carpet, two Pelican 6 pack tank racks) fitted to set in front of the console. Never moved even in rough seas off of Hawaii and you could just remove it for fishing. Really opened up the back end of the boat. I also looked at the metal T-top but deferred to my Bimini for the exact reasons you stated. There were many a time I let the top down and scooted to out run an oncoming storm. Like you I believe a Center Console is a great boat for diving. I maxed out at 4 divers and gear.. I rigged a line that went from the stern to the bow up the port side and back to the stern down the starboard side. Had a 100 ft drift line on a float off the back side. I always hand set the anchor making sure it was secure, we started and ended all dives at the anchor. Never left anyone on the boat when it was just the two of us, maybe stupid but that is the way we did it for years with no issues. Keys were left on the boat in a secret hid space next to my secret battery shut off switch.
Again really nice rig, hope you get to use it each and every weekend.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom