personal dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kru

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my own boat for diving off the Southern California coast. I'm just curious as to how many on the board dive off of their own boats. If so, what kind do you have and how do you have it rigged for scuba?

I have used my Hobie catamaran (16ft) for dives. I tie the gear off to the mast, and sail to the dive site. Dropping anchor and doing the dive is easy. Climbing back on is damn near impossible in full scuba gear, so I must take off by BC and then climb on.

I have a 17' center console that I just got a tank rack for called "roll control system" its not installed yet but should really help. If I was buying a new boat with diveing in mind I think it would be a 24' walk-around cutty. I can tell you that my boat is pretty cramped with four divers and their gear.
RRdave :loopy:

Gee I just got rid of mine.. it was a 26 ft sea ray fiberglass. twin i/os big dive platform made of teak. and a custom made dive ladder on the platform.. it was a sweet boat... could handle six divers for a 2 tank dive.. I sure miss that old boat... ;-0

I have a low profile 20' Taylor with a 225 Johnson on it that I dive from when it is just me and my dive buddy and we need to cover any big distances, I also have a 24' pontoon boat that I have two bottle racks on that will hold 11 tanks each, I don't know how practical a Pontoon boat would be in salt water but it is the ultimate dive boat in my opinion. Whatever you buy be sure and get or make what is called a "dive ladder", it is a ladder that is made for scuba divers and snorkelers and it is the only way to go.

i have several boats i dive from and i plan on buying a new 1 if the price is right,
the 1 i dive from the most is a 10 ft wooden skiff just big enuf to get me out to the edge of the channel as long as the wind isnt blowing too hard it is very easy to get in and out of . there is annother a 20 ft wooden seal hunting boat that i dive from got allot more room for the buddies gear in this 1 we have to use a home made iron ladder to get back aboard, theyse boats dont look like mutch but they do the job ! the 1 i am looking at is a fyberglass 18 footer hope he dont want mutch beacuse it is Bright ORANGE in color ill have to make a custome dive ladder for that boat as well ! :wink:

We have a 20' Seastrike center console.Has lines and clips at 4 corners .A granny line and deco line with clips at 10' and 20'.I use a 25# fluke style anchor with 20' of chain to keep the line more vertical.The bow compartment s will hold 3 al80s each,with a pelican rack holding 6 more tanks .Doubles are stacked on the front seat and lashed to the bow platform .O2 and DAN equipment is in the front seat.The leaning post seat is reversible and 40" high making it perfect for gearing up doubles.Electronics are all Furuno(GPS,color bottom machine and LORAN)Spearguns ,gaffs and tickle sticks bungied to upright stantions of T-top.There is room for 1150 lbs of gear,people ,ice & stuff.We usually have 3-4 divers @200# each with gear leaving 350-550# for food,drink & tanks.For deeper stuff 2 divers with 1 support and 1 person to run the boat/fish while we play.

I DIVE OUT OF A 16 FT, ZODIAC. YOU CAN'T BEAT AN INFLATABLE FOR THEIR STABILITY AND WEIGHT CAPACITY.MY BOAT HAS MORE CARRYING CAPACITY THAN MOST 2O - 25 FOOTERS. WHEN LOOKING FOR A DIVE BOAT YOU NEED TO WEIGH ALL THE WEIGHT YOU WILL CARRY BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN CONSIDER ANY VESSEL. GOOD LUCK GOOD BOATING AND MOST OF ALL GOOD DIVING

I use my 16 foot open bow, bow rider. my buddy and I have enough room to gear up and flop over the side. He made an alluminum latter that hooks on to the dock tie of the boat so we could get in it. Almost impossible with out the latter. I would rather have a 24 footer. maybe someday.:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom