personal dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like your idea about using the gas pipe ladder, I will have to explore that further... thanks...

It worked out extremely well. This may sound a bit redneck, but I took two 10' pipes, found a forked tree the right size, placed the pipes in the fork one at a time and bent them into large "U" shapes. Then I tweaked them until they were near perfect matches. I cut off the extra, threaded the long end and attached about 18" to the bottom with 90 degree elbows. After adding decking across that 18" this became the swim platform. The U shaped pipes are hand rails and like the decking, they bolt to the transom.

For the ladder, I used 1/2" pipe and standard elbows and T fittings. Here's the deal though, as anyone who has ever fitted pipe knows, you can't make a closed 360 degree loop using threaded fittings unless one of them is reverse threaded. What I did instead was to ream out the T fittings until they were an extremely tight fit over the unthreaded pipe. Then I heated them up with a torch and used a hammer to drive them into the correct place for the rungs. There's nothing holding them there but friction, but there's a whole lot of friction and they ain't moving. This has the added benefit of keeping the sides of the ladder as one continuous piece of pipe and helps keep things solid.

The ladder attaches to the swim platform with two large pins and it can be swung up and out of the way when not in use or removed entirely for days when I don't plan on diving.

It worked out extremely well. This may sound a bit redneck, but I took two 10' pipes, found a forked tree the right size, placed the pipes in the fork one at a time and bent them into large "U" shapes. Then I tweaked them until they were near perfect matches. I cut off the extra, threaded the long end and attached about 18" to the bottom with 90 degree elbows. After adding decking across that 18" this became the swim platform. The U shaped pipes are hand rails and like the decking, they bolt to the transom.

For the ladder, I used 1/2" pipe and standard elbows and T fittings. Here's the deal though, as anyone who has ever fitted pipe knows, you can't make a closed 360 degree loop using threaded fittings unless one of them is reverse threaded. What I did instead was to ream out the T fittings until they were an extremely tight fit over the unthreaded pipe. Then I heated them up with a torch and used a hammer to drive them into the correct place for the rungs. There's nothing holding them there but friction, but there's a whole lot of friction and they ain't moving.

The ladder attaches to the swim platform with two large pins and it can be swung up and out of the way when not in use or removed entirely for days when I don't plan on diving.

Not Redneck -- inventive! I think that I will locate a pipe bender and do it that way... I have a friend that can take this idea and make it functional... I am going to run it off the bow, making it wide enough to allow all divers to traverse it... I am also going to add a winch on the front to assist with disabled divers -- nothing worse than fighting with a rig and having three feet to get it aboard... the lakes we have can have some wicked storms blow up quickly with major waves -- LOL! It can get rough but that would call for a beaching and wait it out, no need to endanger anyone... I am going to retro the electronics as well and the idea of two GPS units is very valid since I don't have a LORAN...

Nice rig Nemrod. Reminds me of my 20 ft Chris Craft Center Console Seahawk. I had my tanks rigged the same way but found it ate up to much space in the aft end so I built a drop in ( Marine 3/4 ply, Marine Carpet, two Pelican 6 pack tank racks) fitted to set in front of the console. Never moved even in rough seas off of Hawaii and you could just remove it for fishing. Really opened up the back end of the boat. I also looked at the metal T-top but deferred to my Bimini for the exact reasons you stated. There were many a time I let the top down and scooted to out run an oncoming storm. Like you I believe a Center Console is a great boat for diving. I maxed out at 4 divers and gear.. I rigged a line that went from the stern to the bow up the port side and back to the stern down the starboard side. Had a 100 ft drift line on a float off the back side. I always hand set the anchor making sure it was secure, we started and ended all dives at the anchor. Never left anyone on the boat when it was just the two of us, maybe stupid but that is the way we did it for years with no issues. Keys were left on the boat in a secret hid space next to my secret battery shut off switch.
Again really nice rig, hope you get to use it each and every weekend.

Jim

Captain has a nice 22 foot Chris Craft BTW.

Yes, thanks, I forgot to mention for ocean diving, especially with any current you need to rig a floating polypro ski line at least 100 to 150 feet with a dive flag float on the end. I have some "ski" line floats knotted on it also so that the line stays on top and is visible to boaters and fisherman.

Yes, I have considered relocating tanks to the front of the console, if we were to dive four regularly instead of just me and my wife we might do it, good point.

Yes, we also leave the boat on hook unattended but only in benign conditions and not to terribly far from shore, lol. We don't get to adventurous either keeping the anchor line in site and making sure it is well hooked into the wreck or bottom. We do have a PLB and I am trying to figure a case for it so we can carry it when we dive.

N

I am also going to add a winch on the front to assist with disabled divers -- nothing worse than fighting with a rig and having three feet to get it aboard...

Last year we just hauled our gear in over the side and climbed in over the gunnels. Hoisting up BC's with HP100's and integrated weight was a b----. I considered adding some sort of heavy duty crab davit to the boat for that purpose, but with only a 16' boat, I just decided to make a ladder setup that we could climb wearing our gear. Given more space I would probably add a winch too. I think a hand operated trailer winch would work well.

Captain has a nice 22 foot Chris Craft BTW.

Yes, thanks, I forgot to mention for ocean diving, especially with any current you need to rig a floating polypro ski line at least 100 to 150 feet with a dive flag float on the end. I have some "ski" line floats knotted on it also so that the line stays on top and is visible to boaters and fisherman.

Yes, I have considered relocating tanks to the front of the console, if we were to dive four regularly instead of just me and my wife we might do it, good point.

Yes, we also leave the boat on hook unattended but only in benign conditions and not to terribly far from shore, lol. We don't get to adventurous either keeping the anchor line in site and making sure it is well hooked into the wreck or bottom. We do have a PLB and I am trying to figure a case for it so we can carry it when we dive.

N
P8080012.jpg

Try this. It is a McMurdo dive canister good down to 500 feet. Attaches right on to your tank strap. I had mine modified to hold a Standard Horizon HX850S Marine band radio. Had to make it 4 inches deeper so I could keep the antenna attached. Radio is floating, has built in GPS, emergency strobe, and a panic button that acts like an EPIRB. The canister itself is designed for EPIRBs so your will fit easily.

Check out the Delta or Island Hopper, 28 to 32ft., great 6 pak boats.

I have a 19" Searay that is set up for diving, alum. T- ladder 140 hp I/O that I have a hose off the block for hot water to run in your wet suit before and after the dive, a Humminbird 1197c side scan. It's a little tight with 4 divers but we can drift dive all day for $20.00 and I have brought up 16,000 lbs. ship anchors with it. If I had a 24' C.C. and twins I would go through $20.00 in two hours that hurts after diving 3- 5 days a week.

Whichever boat you shop for give a long look at the space available to store equipment, coolers, spearguns, seating to don/doff dive gear, and the ladder. Most boats come with ladders that just can't take the weight over time.

Consider the expenses involved with properly outfitting your boat. There's electronics, and safety equipment that's required and then there's diving specific stuff, like O2, tank storage (roll control), etc.

My boat's a Parker 2820XL and rigged for diving with friends. I can store 16 tanks in roll control system and have never, in the worse conditions, had one come free. It's great stuff! I've also got an EPIRB, O2, and AED, and a dive ladder designed for diving (heavy mount and open rungs).

Safe Diving,
Wil

You may also consider an alternative to a center console. I appreciate the additional protection for cold, hot, rain, who knows. My husband and I love this boat, a 23' Parker. The only boat I would rather have is a 25' Parker, maybe a 28'.

Attachments

• P2100082.jpg
    P2100082.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 468
  • P7050020.jpg
    P7050020.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 429
I just got a C-Dory Tomcat in February. I love the pilot house for getting out of the sun and wind. It's extremely quiet, has a large V-berth, fridge, stove/heater, 6'6" headroom, full electronics, twin Honda 150s, roll control tank racks, marine head and shower, nice ladder and is a very stable platform for diving, being a catamaran.

Roll_Control_1.jpg

Merry_admiring_her_baby.jpg

No_Pressure_lettering_7.jpg

DSC0094_2.jpg

Picture_008_edited_3.jpg

cid_f79d165f_b53a_4cb1_9af7_7f16649a1e9c.jpg

Long_day_at_the_slip.jpg

Back
Top Bottom