People diving without certs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I undersand that. OSHA regs are clearly intended for the hard hat dive industry, not for the recreational boat bottom cleaning biz and we have gone around and around about that particular issue here. But regarding your post, since this guy isn't carrying the proper commercial dive certs, even if he isn't operating illegally (which he almost certainly is), it seems unlikely that he could obtain insurance for the kind of work he is doing. Somebody could end up in a world of financial hurt.

Hello, fastbottoms.

The insurance issue is an area one must step lightly.

legit commercial dive business(mid sized) - just to cover the paper work an office staff of 5 or more IS required
non legit - 3 or less There are a number of other gray areas these unsafe "operators" use to get around the paperwork.

...like the ADC or not, they do have terrific customer education material. The key to keeping this industry safe, has always fallen on the legit operators educating the purchase agent.

Here is another gripe pertaining to the op's question. Why the heck do legit operators in that geographic area allow flybys to operate? Only reason i can think. These flybys are hard to spot.

(Where I am) This area is loaded with "dive companies" . Typically they don't stick around long. Around here, a pre bid meeting actually "weeds" out the below standard. Other parts of the country work the same. Example: Louisiana - flybys get the lugged end of a worn boot.

Disclaimer : The term (flyby, non legit, crappy, unsafe,scubbie-dos, etc etc etc) does not imply that Legit "mom and pop" dive companies are termed above. To all the mom and pop shops - "stay safe and punch the mud."

Last edited:
It really all boils down to what is going to happen when someone gets hurt on the job site, or someone does something stupid and sinks a boat, truck, etc. Any insurance the guy has, or thinks he has, will evaporate as soon as it's know he is running a cottage dive outfit without properly trained personnel. The sad part is the outfit who hired them will also get caught up in the s**t storm because they hired the company and they have the deep pockets. The best thing to do with little one-man shows like that it educate the customers so they know what they are getting into. You can't fix the guys chocking hose because they need to money, and you can't fix the guy who runs the outfit because he's probably making good coin and not having the fork out for workers comp, longshore workers insurance, the extra minimum safe manpower, properly trained employees, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insurance, insurance, insurance, that's the kicker. I needed at least a mill to set foot on most jobs, and these were small jobs back in the day. I have a friend who owns a construction company, his insurance man told me bonding would be impossible without a card that stated I was a certified commercial diver. Even though I owned the equipment, had a good track record, and surrounded myself with the best ex navy people, the card was the ticket for insurance. Got it for the insurance bonding.......

Attachments

• 013_13.jpg
    013_13.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 004_4.jpg
    004_4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 144
  • AR20071205_002802.jpg
    AR20071205_002802.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 129
  • AR20071205_002702.jpg
    AR20071205_002702.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 005_5.jpg
    005_5.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 007_7.jpg
    007_7.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 137
If you are a 1099 independent contractor you don't need to be a commercial diver FOR most inland jobs . i have no idea how the hell in California this is even legal but in the 18 years i have been working as a commercial diver .(side note i graduated from the college of oceaneering in 1998) i have worked for company's with no training just a open water cert. There is no one saying this is wrong till someone dies . if you are a independent contractor osha has no say in the stupid things you do. They don't owe you money for work mans comp SO it has nothing to do with them .
ADCI is just an organization for training . offshore you need the cert . inland the loop holes are there if you know how to play the system and no one gets hurt .
i hate this system . gue is doing commercial work right now Removing abandoned fishing nets in California and in Florida . there is a non profit in California -ocean defenders alliance- doing the same thing -this is commercial diving .No one cares till someone dies. seek training prevent your own death .

Insurance, insurance, insurance, that's the kicker. I needed at least a mill to set foot on most jobs, and these were small jobs back in the day. I have a friend who owns a construction company, his insurance man told me bonding would be impossible without a card that stated I was a certified commercial diver. Even though I owned the equipment, had a good track record, and surrounded myself with the best ex navy people, the card was the ticket for insurance. Got it for the insurance bonding.......

I've heard that PADI will sell you a commercial diver card [emoji3]

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 08:29 PM ----------

If you are a 1099 independent contractor you don't need to be a commercial diver FOR most inland jobs . i have no idea how the hell in California this is even legal but in the 18 years i have been working as a commercial diver .(side note i graduated from the college of oceaneering in 1998) i have worked for company's with no training just a open water cert. There is no one saying this is wrong till someone dies . if you are a independent contractor osha has no say in the stupid things you do. They don't owe you money for work mans comp SO it has nothing to do with them .
ADCI is just an organization for training . offshore you need the cert . inland the loop holes are there if you know how to play the system and no one gets hurt .
i hate this system . gue is doing commercial work right now Removing abandoned fishing nets in California and in Florida . there is a non profit in California -ocean defenders alliance- doing the same thing -this is commercial diving .No one cares till someone dies. seek training prevent your own death .

You can do anything you want as a sole-proprietor, until you hire someone to help you. I also doubt that you are going to get any lucrative government or federal jobs as an unlicensed, non- certified one-man show. But have fun retrieving outboard motors. [emoji3]

I also doubt that you are going to get any lucrative government or federal jobs as an unlicensed, non- certified one-man show.

Guess again. I have had my share of Coast Guard work. I know plenty of other hull cleaners who have as well. All it takes is a TWIC card and insurance. Hell, even a hard hat diver can probably manage that.

But have fun retrieving outboard motors.
emoji3.png

My little "one man show" grossed over $200K last year. Plus, I get to go home every night and have a beer or three while watching the game. I wonder how many commercial guys can say that? Of the ones that can actually find work, that is. :rolleyes:

Wait! You broke the rules of this discussion, you just stated you have insurance. No fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was talking to one of the guys and he said that the employer does most of the diving and uses them as a supervisor and tender.

I have been out for a long time so I am not up to speed on OSHA dive regs. I am sure they wouldn't like what he is doing but I don't know how much they could do about it. If the owner is doing most of the diving then he is at the greatest risk if he has not trained these guys properly. Insurance has already been covered here and would be a bigger factor overall.

Wish I could remember the number of resumes "Certified Commercial Divers" sent me looking for work. D.I.T. and Ocean Corporation sent me belt buckles along with resumes of best in class students looking to breakout. I hired people who had that certain something dive schools didn't teach, "a work ethic". When I worked for BP our Operators made more than the divers did, of course they were contractors. Dive Schools are perhaps the biggest rip off in the industry. Duct Tape and Bull $hit, and don't forget to set the stage.......:wink: Enjoy the pics.....

Attachments

• DSCF0590.jpg
    DSCF0590.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0594.jpg
    DSCF0594.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0937.jpg
    DSCF0937.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0935.jpg
    DSCF0935.jpg