Pensacola Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of y'all dive the Pensacola Pass / jetties?
Is there any good beach diving from the Park on the Perdido Key side of the pass?

Just wondering.. I'll be on Perdido Key Aug 1-6 ..

Yes.

Fort Pickens jetties are quite a bit of fun. The storms over the past few years have destroyed the road to the fort, and also the jetties(and several other beachable shore dives).

There are some steel jetties on the Johnson Beach side of the pass. The road that goes down Johnson Beach stops well before you reach the point. You could walk, but it would be several miles. Obviously, if you have a boat, things are much easier.

Also make sure to dive a slack high tide. The current rips through the pass at other times.

what he said . not sure which current is worse Ft Walton or Pickens, hmm I wonder if the ferrys will allow divers to go along to ft pickens ?

Supposedly, yes, the ferrys will take divers.

IMO, Fort Walton/Destin currents are much much worse. I used to dive Pickens between currents, you could crawl along against it and make progress. Not so much so in Destin - LOL!

I guess that is true, I have dove Pickens in between tides and it was kind of like underwater mountain climbing. you had to grab one rock with one hand and grab another to move around so that the current didn't get you. Even though it was alot of work I had a great dive.

panhandvr:
what he said . not sure which current is worse Ft Walton or Pickens, hmm I wonder if the ferrys will allow divers to go along to ft pickens ?

I called the guy who's running the ferry service to ft pickens and he will take divers.

He will either drop you at one of the piers or will get close in and drop you close to the jetties he said, then return at whatever time to pick you up.

wjefferis:
I guess that is true, I have dove Pickens in between tides and it was kind of like underwater mountain climbing. you had to grab one rock with one hand and grab another to move around so that the current didn't get you. Even though it was alot of work I had a great dive.

Yeah, I tried it in Destin once, got ripped off the rocks and shot down the channel with enough speed that I couldn't recognize what I was zipping over. I ascended in time to catch onto the southernmost jetties and rock climbed over them in full gear back to the beach.

Not my best moment :11doh:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yes.

Fort Pickens jetties are quite a bit of fun. The storms over the past few years have destroyed the road to the fort, and also the jetties(and several other beachable shore dives).

There are some steel jetties on the Johnson Beach side of the pass. The road that goes down Johnson Beach stops well before you reach the point. You could walk, but it would be several miles. Obviously, if you have a boat, things are much easier.
I might bring my boat down.. or maybe rent one of those pontoon boats with the slide for the kids to play on.. I wonder if I can slide down one of those in full gear..:D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yes.

on the west side of the pass, south of the pass, is the USS Massachusetts diveable?
http://www.navquest.com/noaa/11384_1.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom