Pensacola Dive Charters charged with spearfishing w/o license

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a perfect example of why even though I would love to spearfish, I am scared to death to do so. With my luck I would think I was bringing up a great fish, only to get slapped with a super huge fine. I hate to see that happen to Capt. Mucci, he is a very nice guy. Hope everything works out for him.

Looks like the grouper troopers strike again.

aniNYPD.gif

It's why i won't shoot grouper. i can't tell one from the other LOL.

The tails are a big sign of which Grouper you're likely going to run across around here, that will get you in trouble.

Goliaths have big rounded tails, big no-no to shoot them. They're everywhere out there, beach dives, inshore, offshore, etc. Don't shoot unless you know!

It's why i won't shoot grouper. i can't tell one from the other LOL.

The tails are a big sign of which Grouper you're likely going to run across around here, that will get you in trouble.

Goliaths have big rounded tails, big no-no to shoot them. They're everywhere out there, beach dives, inshore, offshore, etc. Don't shoot unless you know!

I had the same issue telling someone I'd be afraid to shoot the wrong one.... and someone told me pretty much what Bugman said.... the tails are the first key to ID'ing the correct one.

Thnx for posting, I didnt know this.

The problem is getting them to hold still while I check. I shot one that was just about dead straight across on his tail, neither curved in or out. That was a tough one to "call" on site.

A dumb question...I spearfish off of dive charters, but I have my own fishing license. Are you saying that the boat ALSO has to have a license for me to be fishing? Or is this only where the fishermen are unlicensed and using the boat's license?

The divers having their own license isn't good enough.

What happens if parks officers stop you and you have a bunch of fresh sushi marinating?

But what if you don't clean it first...... You just cut it in half and eat it like that? :wink: jk

I don't think you're supposed to fillet fish while out. (I've been told that but never seen it written as a rule).

It has to do with that if you fillet it then sometimes it might be harder to determine exactly how many fish you have and if you went over the creel limit by claiming you cut it into smaller fillets or you had undersized fish. also hard to determine exactly what type of fish it is if it's filleted.

like it is a protected grouper or one you could legally catch/shoot.

Back
Top Bottom