Pensacola Dive Charters charged with spearfishing w/o license

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
wow....

I don't think there is a thread on this anywhere else... (or didn't see it)

from NOAA Charges Florida Dive Charter Businesses for Fishing Without

from December 2008.

NOAA Charges Florida Dive Charter Businesses With Spearfishing Without Federal Permits

NOAA has charged two dive business owners in Pensacola, Fla., with
illegally operating spearfishing charters without the appropriate
permits in federal waters off the Florida panhandle.

NOAA and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission launched an investigation in summer 2007 after NOAA special agents in Niceville, Fla., received several complaints about illegal spearfishing charters running out to the USS Oriskany artificial reef and other popular dive spots off Florida's northern Gulf coast.

Undercover officers chartered trips on the vessel /Daisy D./ owned and
operated by Jeffery Michael Folds of Southern Offshore Adventures, and the /Y-Knot/, owned and operated by David John Mucci of Blue Water Adventures. Folds was charged with three counts -- operating without a federal charter permit, prohibited use of a powerhead (a device with an explosive charge) to take reef fish, and making a false statement to law enforcement officials.

The proposed fine against Folds is $19,000. Mucci was charged with one count of operating without a federal charter permit and the proposed fine against him is $12,500.

Both men have 30 days from the date they received their notices of
violations to request a hearing before an administrative law judge.
Mucci received his notice on Nov. 7 and Folds on Nov.19.

"It is important that spearfishing charter operators understand they
need the same permits as any other fishing charter operating in federal
waters," said Allan Coker, NOAA special agent in Niceville.

Anyone with information involving illegal spearfishing charters should
contact NOAA's Fisheries Service Office of Law Enforcement national
hotline at 1-800-853-1964.

NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth's environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.​

What good did it do to bring this up again?

Maybe old news for the local grapevine. He said he hadn't seen it brought up here before and a search just now on "NOAA Charges" brought up only this thread.

I did a search before I posted it and couldn't find it posted anywhere here.

The news story is from last month. So somewhat recent.

Back to the original story, Gary you might know this....what federal permits are required for a charter boat to spearfish? When are federal permits required? Just when you go out of state waters, or is this for some special protection zone?

In federal waters they must have a federal reef fish permit along with all applicable state licenses and permits. Under new rules, they now have to follow federal rules when in state waters if they hold a federal permit.
The NMFS has gone to great lengths to keep these folks from making a living here on the Gulf Coast.
They're starting to make it tougher on the recreational fishermen as well - adding new licenses and permits on everyone.

In federal waters they must have a federal reef fish permit along with all applicable state licenses and permits. Under new rules, they now have to follow federal rules when in state waters if they hold a federal permit.
The NMFS has gone to great lengths to keep these folks from making a living here on the Gulf Coast.
They're starting to make it tougher on the recreational fishermen as well - adding new licenses and permits on everyone.

wow... I don't see how charter boats can break even with all the permits, coast guard inspections, insurance, fuel, boat payments, crew/salary payments, dockage fees, advertising, equipment, mantenance, etc required....

On the other hand, as a business, they should be keeping up with the laws. If business costs go up they just have to raise prices. Yay govt. They think they are taxing a business, when really they are just taxing the consumer. Or do they fully well know this...

This is a perfect example of why even though I would love to spearfish, I am scared to death to do so. With my luck I would think I was bringing up a great fish, only to get slapped with a super huge fine. I hate to see that happen to Capt. Mucci, he is a very nice guy. Hope everything works out for him.

Looks like the grouper troopers strike again.

aniNYPD.gif

Back
Top Bottom