Pennyroyal Quarry, Hopkinsville KY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good evening!!!
Just spent the weekend diving in two great locations. This is the first of 2 reviews. This review is of Pennyroyal Quarry, located in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Please note, I will not discuss actual prices of goods, services, etc. only because those are subject to change. I WILL however, describe if a site or location is, in my humble opinion, competitively priced or overpriced.

A quick run-down on my dive group for this site. There were 8 divers total, ranging from very newly certified to some AOWs with lots of dives and one (myself) super diving nerd. We did two dives on Friday night, one of which a night dive, and then two more dives Saturday morning. Registration was easy and can be done on-line (preferred) or on site. Pennyroyal also issues a card to all divers, to further ease future dives. As long as no info on your waiver changes, they say you can show up, pay your fee, and they will scan your card, then its off to get wet.

As we arrived at the site on Friday evening, we were met with a friendly "Hey now!!" (a true southern greeting) and a handshake. My group set out to rig our gear on their provided pavilions. The pavilions are all connected and share a semi-circular metal roof. They are denoted by very visible numbers and separated by either a clothes hanging rack (to be shared by both) on one side, and a tank rack with ropes for securing on the other (again, to be used by both sides). Now, this setup can be slightly chaotic, more so with a large group (like the one we had). One positive though, the pavilions are situated right next to the shelf of the quarry that over looks the some of the deeper sites. This overlook was about 2-4 feet above the water, and allowed for a very easy giant stride into the water once your geared up. There is also a shore way entry that goes from 0 to about 9 feet, perfect for checking out buoyancy and setting a meeting point for your group. Now for some nitty-gritty-dive specifics:

1. Friday, 09-28-18, air temp: 85 degrees F entry time: 1800, dive time: 53 mins. I went to a max depth of 25 feet, which gave me about 74 degree F water. Plenty of attractions to see and multiple platforms for skills or as we used them, meeting points upon descent. Most of the attractions have lines running to them, so you can follow the lines and see most of the cool stuff.

2. Friday, 09-28-18, air temp 80 F, entry time: 1932, dive time: 47 min. Max depth on this one was around 35 feet which still gave me about 74 degree water. This was a night dive so we could only see what my light was pointed at, still pretty fun. One thing to consider if night diving here, bring some type of headlamp or hanging lantern for back at the pavilion.

3. Saturday, Air temp of 61, entry time: 1018 with a dive time of 25 min. This was our designated deep dive, but most of my party didn't complete it due to the cold. At 93 feet I was smacked in the face with some 52 degree water. I was in a 7 mil suit, 3 mil gloves, and 5 mil hood, and only my face got really cold. At this depth is a really cool boat that you can see, but not a whole lot to penetrate if that's your thing (it's mine). there is a line going to this attraction, but it's a small finger reel line and at points it was buried in the silt pretty deep.

4. Satruday, Air temp of 80 F, entry time: 1300 with a dive time of 38 min. More of a pleasure dive seeing some of the same stuff we saw yesterday. Max depth on this one was 40 feet with a temp of 71 degrees. Some more cool features to see like a fire truck and old sail boat. One thing I liked was there are two (that I found) large plastic culverts available to swim through. These spaces were constricted but easy to swim through. **DISCLAIMER** ONLY SWIM THROUGH THESE THINGS IF YOU ARE EXTREMELY CONFIDENT IN YOUR SKILLS AND EQUIPMENT.

End notes: I would readily recommend this dive site. It is easily accessible and prices are not too bad at all. They are also very eager to help. One of the guys in my group had an issue with his new regulator. He approached the operator of the quarry and he fixed it for him between dives so there was no additional down time. Happy Diving friends!!

Popo Diver, thanks for reviewing them; glad to see the place get some attention.

Here's the website for Pennyroyal Scuba Center's Blue Springs Resort. I live not far from it, and drive by on my way to work. Glad you had a good time; I agree, it's a good quarry. I stopped by Saturday to step in the dive shop & glance around to see if they had any BP/W setups out (didn't see any).

A few comments on the diving:

1.) At the end of the pavilion area is what used to be a parking lot, now flooded; I'd guess around 5 feet deep. Back swim across that a good ways, and you hit a large 'plateau' that's about 20 feet deep, with lots of sunken attractions, connected by lines as you noted.

2.) Beside the picnic tables, as you noted, a giant stride takes you into deep water. There's a ledge maybe 50 feet down? It's got a white van, an ancient fire truck (looks like a Model T on steroids to me), then on down to the bottom around 80 - 90 feet. If I fin around enough, I might slightly break 100 feet. You mentioned 52 degree water; I used to it being in the mid. 40's down there. It's supposed to get down around 120 feet deep somewhere; I've never done that.

3.) I'm used to 3 thermoclines; varies with season/conditions, but in the summer, 1st around 15 feet deep, 2nd I'm not sure...maybe 50 or 60? Again, it varies. I haven't dove there this summer because I got to do enough trip diving to satisfy me.

But whether you're out to test your exposure protection against really cold water, to mill around moderate depths, or enjoy the warmth of the shallows, it's a good place. There's an onsite dive shop, they do fills (air and last I checked nitrox), rent tanks & gear (again, last I checked) and are friendly people. I keep seeing upgrades; noticed quarter operated lockers in front of the dive shop (sized for personal stuff, not a bunch of dive gear). This place is a major regional training site; people come from a large area around it. It does get busy; early mornings vehicles can be backed up getting in, which probably contributed to the entry procedure you describe (in the old days, everyone had to go into the dive shop and check in).

Oh, and again last I checked, they allowed solo diving if you have a solo cert., gear for solo diving, and leave a written dive plan with their people before proceeding to the water. I've done this a few times. Check with them on their current policy if that's of interest.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom