Penetration inside the Empress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyone here who has gone inside Empress of Ireland? Is there still anything left to penetrate or has the wreck crumbled completely? Id love to hear from folks who have done that dive.

its dangerous as hell , unless your VERY experienced don't ever consider it ........I never will again

its dangerous as hell , unless your VERY experienced don't ever consider it ........I never will again

I consider it well outside of my experience level at the moment.

What makes it dangerous? If it is the possibility of getting lost in the wreck then can running a line not solve that? Or is it structural collapse that makes it dangerous? I would love to understand the risk factors there.

My planned trips there ended up on the Jodrey instead. Steve Blanchard is local and, IIEC, has a lot of experience on that wreck. Might consider contacting him for current conditions

its falling apart debris ever where

My post might get deleted but someone has to say it. The title of this thread sounds like a bad adult movie.

I struggled with myself on it. How do you communicate what you are intending without sounding like a adult movie title? :facepalm:

In what state is the wreck The Empress of Ireland?

I guess that would have done it (plus, that way it's clear that we're talking about wrecks, as it's not obvious from the first screen on sb)

if your an adult your mind doesn't go there especially on an important subject .....maybe that's just me

I have only done a few penetration dives on the Empress and it has been quite a few years.
They range from wide open (1st class dining room) to ******* nightmare (3rd class kitchen on port side). IIRC there was over 6 feet of silt, less than 1.5 feet of clearance with hanging cables, wires and broken ropes in the kitchen. Add in the angle that the wreck lies at and it becomes very challenging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom