Pelican Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a great case from Helix Camera...a 1520 with the Ikelite branding on it for just $68 shipped! Might want to see if they have any more.

I am going to contradict my previous post on this thread about using my Storm hard case.

The hard cases are too heavy empty and every kilo/pound counts for carry-on.

Read my thread on getting jacked around by every airline I used on my last trip to the Philippines and Okinawa.

Soft carry-on case only for me in the future.

It's true about the weight of carry-on camera bags becoming a problem. On several trips to PNG and, recently, to Borneo my carry-on pelican was too heavy. I was required to gate check it. Well, any bags over 15 lbs are targeted, especially by Quantas and the smaller "puddle jumper" flights. Nice thing is....I don't care. Gate checking means that luggage handlers won't get to rummage through the bag. And the hefty (and heavy) pelican box will stand up to being thrown into the cargo hold. If I had a soft padded carry-on for my camera equip, I would sweat bullets. Yes, most of them weigh more than 15 lbs too and will, eventually, get snagged.
Love my heavy tough box!!

yes, I like gate checking too.

having two travelers sure is easier than when I go it alone.

We have used our Pelican 1510 as a carry on for 2 years with no issues with weight. Traveled to Mexico, Carribean, South America, Europe & Japan and have never been questioned or had it weighted

Pelican, Storm, and UK cases are great until you start flying. Aside from being theft advertisment, due to the Airlines 50lb limit they are usless for travel!

All 8 of mine are now dedicated to protecting cameras and film images from humidity and typhoons here in Micronesia.

For travel, I use huge Ziplock bags and beat-up-Ugly cheap luggage I get from the Goodwill/Salvation army shops.

CB

I do put the Pelican in a hockey bag duffle.

so, Chris, what pads your zip locks? clothes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom