Pelican Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just pickedup my new baby.... SP-350, Ikelite housing and DS-125 strobe... Wondering what size Pelican case would be adaquate to protect everything, and maybe enough room for an Inon UWL100, o-rings, grease, etc..

-Tim

Hi,

Sorry I can't help you with the case, but I was wondering why you went for the Ikelite housing over the Olympus housing?

I'm looking to purchase this camera myself but am still considering housing options etc (I prefer the look of the Olympus at the moment...). Unfortunately I can't afford anything as expensive as the DS-125 strobe. :( I'm not sure which strobe to go for (for fairly murky UK conditions!) so I guess this may effect which housing I eventually go for...

Go look with the search for the case! :)

Amy.

Amy Capello:
Hi,

Sorry I can't help you with the case, but I was wondering why you went for the Ikelite housing over the Olympus housing?

I'm looking to purchase this camera myself but am still considering housing options etc (I prefer the look of the Olympus at the moment...). Unfortunately I can't afford anything as expensive as the DS-125 strobe. :( I'm not sure which strobe to go for (for fairly murky UK conditions!) so I guess this may effect which housing I eventually go for...

Go look with the search for the case! :)

Amy.
probably went for the ikelite because the ttl will work with it..with other housings expensive modifications have to be done..can also go deeper,much more sturdy housing

My SP, PT, dual loc-lines, dual strobes and numerous small accessories (batteries, chargers, memory, lens, pocket light barely squeeze into the 1550. I peeled so much foam out that in places there are blanks now because there were only one or two layers left for support. The Ike housing is bigger. I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Pelican1550casewithcamerastuff001.jpg

I have been using the Storm case im2400 but soon to get the im2500 because it has wheels. Both are carry-on size.

I fit 2 Oly housings with cameras, Inon strobe, wide angle lens, close-up lens, battery charger, batteries, and miscellaneous items. I also put my laptop in last as the lid has a 2" clearance.

Only thing I don't put in it is my tray as it is too big with the buoyancy chambers on it. I pack that in with my dive gear.

I didn't get the optional foam because I pack too many items for it to be practical. Instead I use bubble wrap.

cases4less.com has good prices on Storm and Pelican cases.

Amy,

Depth rating and real TTL support for the strobe made it a no-brainer.
Most of my diving is on the deep end of traditional recreational ranges, so buying something w/ a 130' limit didn't make alot of sense, whereas I don't see myself going past 200' anytime soon.

I pulled the pluck foam out of my 1500 and sat the new rig in it - not quite deep enough w/ the top and bottom foam still intact.... I'm wondering if the extra inch in the 1520 will be enough. Emailed casses4less w/ some pics for their professional opinion.

-Tim

I'm with Gilligan, go for the Storm case. I use the im2400 for my PT020, Inon D2000 and ULCS arms.

I am using the wheeled carryon size pelican case (size 1510), and I fit a Ikelite housing (with my trusty C5050 inside), a D125 strobe, and various battery chargers, accessories and whatnots inside it. I decided against the foam, and went with the padded divider option, and it works great. Everything is in pretty close quarters in there, but it is all padded and travels safely. (It has given a couple of airport inspectors the willies when they see all the wires and such on their xray screens, though.:eyebrow: ) Woody

I also use the 1510 with my 5060/Ike rig. It includes a DS125, ultralite arm, camera, and CD burner, and 2 macro lenses. I love the carry-on size and wheeles. I don't check this bag for fear of looters, but use it to roll my (rather large) "purse". Overseas I have had to gate check it several times due to the weight, but at least baggage handlers don't have a chance to paw through it. A good strudy case. On liveaboards, I take all the dividers out and store them. I then use the empty box to store my camera set-up on the camera table. The only trouble with Ike housings is they are clear and get really hot if direct sun hits it.

Another vote for the 1510. It is carry on size and has wheels and a pull behind handle. It also makes a good stool when you need to rest while walking through the air ports. It is my favorite pelican case of all time, I have even thought about just using it for luggage but it is sort of small for that.

Brent
If anyone needs one let me know and I will see what I can do, the lid organizer thingy is pretty nice too.....I got it after I already had my case packed with stuff...it opened up lots of space by moving stuff to the lid.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom