Pelican Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage:
... Wondering what size Pelican case would be adaquate to protect everything, ...
-Tim

Depends if you are talking about local diving where it is only you handling the case or if you are thinking about airline travel. Sounds like you might be using this locally. If so what I do is buy the case with no foam then I use these http://tinyurl.com/zgoov to wrap around some of the parts. Yes it's mostly all loose inside but the domke wraps work well as long as no one tosses the case off the back of a truck. This allows you to use a much smaller case than if you went with the diced foam. Underwater dive equipment is very sturdy. An Ikilite case really does not need to be protected from shock by 2" of foam. Protecting it from crushing and scatches is enough and for that simply being inside a case and packed with enough wraps it nothing "rattles" is enough.

I like Pelican cases. I live near enough to the factory that I can go in there in person. Their service is outstanding. They fix anything for free while you waitwhat more to ask for -- well they also typically give you something like a flashlight to make up for the hassle of needing to get the repair done.

If you get the pelican 1510 I wouldn't get it with foam. I would go with the padded divider system. It is much better for using on a dive boat, or really better overall for a camera system. The only problem I have is when carrying a dive bag and the case, its usually alot to handle. Normally I carry the camera in the case but leave it in the room when I go on a boat. I carry my dive bag with my assembled camera on top of the dive bag when going to a boat.

Brent
www.hidawayscuba.com

Hello, Here is another recommendation for the Pelican 1510. legal carry-on. Just bought it recently for Tetra Olympus C-7070 set-up. You'll have to decide on foam vs. padded divider ste-up. Tsea

WOW! I just got the padded dividers for my 1510. Let me tell you what I am getting in that box;
Ike 5060 housing
2 DS 125 strobes
2 UCLS arms
CD burner
2 Inon close up lenses
battery chargers
1 double sync cord
1 single sync cord
cleaning/lubing stuff
I can't get my two handled tray in it and will not transport my camera in the housing. Tray will be in dive bag, camera in purse. My sister is using spare camera and Oly housing, so she can carry them.
Things are snug, but secure.

I have an ike dual handled tray for my 5050 and it fits in my 1510 with the dividers. It sits "upright" in the case.

Brent

Allison Finch:
I can't get my two handled tray in it and will not transport my camera in the housing.
Just a question... What do you have against transporting the camera inside the housing?:confused: I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. ??? Woody

I guess one reason is that Ikelite says to absolutely NOT transport the camera in the housing. With all the unintentional bumping of the case, the camera shelf might take too much stress. It's just not worth it to me.

I'm not saying that the two handled tray can't fit in the box, I'm only saying that with all the stuff I'm getting into the box, it won't fit. If you get as much stuff AND the tray, please send a pic of how you arranged it.
thanks

Allison Finch:
I guess one reason is that Ikelite says to absolutely NOT transport the camera in the housing. With all the unintentional bumping of the case, the camera shelf might take too much stress. It's just not worth it to me.
Hmmm. Interesting idea. With all the padding and reinforcing in this housing, it never would have occurred to me that the camera shelf might be stressed. And, I never saw anything from Ikelite that said anything like that. But, my rig is old, and I can't find the original manual, so I can't looksee on this. Anybody ever had any problems like this? Woody

Well.. just wanna ask some of you who have Pelican 1510,

Do you think a 14" notebook would fit in the lid side?...
I'm thinking about getting this pelican case, and put everything, including my Notebook in it..

I'm having and idea of take out the corrugated foam under the lid, and replace with some kind of sleve for my 14" notebook..
The bottom side of this pelican case will be holding Ikelite housing for C7070, one DS-125, Ultralight arm, chargers, etc. with padded divider (as you guys suggested).

do you guy think it's possible?

There is a new pelican box. It is a legal carry-on size with wheeles like the 1510. It will be hitting the market any day now. The difference is mostly the depth (although other dimensions are slightly bigger too). It will be deep enough to carry those big SLR housings, I bet.
Can't wait to see one at DEMA!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom