Pelagics anywhere around Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We finally got our vacation sorted...end of May/beginning of June in Bonaire! I know we are going to see some cool reefs and life...but is there anywhere we might see any larger life? Wild side is fine, boat diving from Klein would be fine. I'd love to see a manta ray (not even sure if they are found anywhere near Bonaire), almost any kind of ray for that matter, perhaps a small Hammerhead, whale shark etc.,

I am sure there are more people with more experiences from Bonaire, but in my 2 trips there we saw 1 eagle ray while doing a night dive at Salt Pier. That is it.

I believe there are dive operators who take divers to the windward side of the island. I think I have read that it is on that side of the island where you would have a chance to observe some larger marine life.

The normal dive sites that everyone describes and talks about have an abundance of marine life but they are small. A turtle and some tarpon are about as big as they get usually on the southside (with the exception of the eagle ray mentioned earlier).

turtle, eagle ray, and tarpon are as big as i saw there

but the coral and the fish are awesome, amazing diversity

DrSteve:
We finally got our vacation sorted...end of May/beginning of June in Bonaire! I know we are going to see some cool reefs and life...but is there anywhere we might see any larger life? Wild side is fine, boat diving from Klein would be fine. I'd love to see a manta ray (not even sure if they are found anywhere near Bonaire), almost any kind of ray for that matter, perhaps a small Hammerhead, whale shark etc.,

You most likely will not see pelagics. Three years ago there was a whale shark spotted off shore, but you are in a very small minority of a chance to see one or any pelagics for that matter. No dolphins, no sharks, no Mantas, about the biggest you may get a chance to see would be large Tarpon. I've only been to Bonaire a few times but I have allot of friends that have been there and we all agree. The diving is still great, and you will have the easiest shore diving in the Caribbean.
Next trip if you are looking for Pelagics, may I suggest diving with Fifi on Turks and Caicos. Especially if you travel in the end of Feb. to April you would have a chance to see Whales, dolphins, sharks, eagle rays.....maybe a Hammerhead, but none of it is guaranteed. I think the second choice would be Little Cayman. At Little Cayman we've seen, Manta, sharks (every trip), Hammerhead, dolphins, Eagle Rays (every trip) and of course none are guaranteed there either. Maybe Coz. would be my third choice.
If you go to some of the more exotic spots like the GBR in Australia in June you WILL see plenty of sharks, last trip we saw sharks, dolphins, Minke whales, dogtooth tuna, large schools of Jacks as well as the tropicals. Also Palau is reported to be a consistant spot for pelagics.

The best is yet to come....
Caymaniac

There's Tarpon near the piers. Especially at night.

Last summer, we were at Bonaire D&A's dock(Bari Reef) when a boat came back from Klein, on the way in the divers spotted and snorkeled with a family of dolphins in the channel.

oh yes... i forgot the dolphins... we did see and snorkeled with some dolphins
coming back from Klein Bonaire

Check out www.bonairetalk.com in the photos and videos section. There is footage in there of a fairly recent manta encounter and many photos of spotted eagle rays. Although the manta seems to be a one of, the eagle rays seem to be spotted with some regularity. I'm going to Bonaire for the first time at the end of June so I'm hoping to be lucky and see an eagle ray at least. My understanding is that if you want fairly reliable Manta encounters you have to go to either Yap or Kona.

I just got back from Bonaire yesterday. Night diving off of Plaza Resort at the 18 Palms site, saw multiple Tarpon on both night dives. Leading them with a dive light, you can maybe see, (and hear), them chomping down on some pray. If you see a particular little fish that for whatever reason you think would make good food, leave your light spot on him and watch/listen for the crunch.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom