Peak Buoyancy Class... Learned something last night....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Culcuhain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
with only a rash guard, swim trunks, BC (new, have about 10 dives on it.), and an AL80 (full), and mask, fins, etc.... I am negatively buoyant.... I guess that 10# I was using (Based on previous dives and a different/rental BC) was WAY too much... and this was in a salt water pool too.... :-D

Nice!
I should really do a proper weight check one of these days...

Recheck with your normal exposure suit and a near empty cylinder to see the difference

You're going to have SO much more fun now! Not having to manage that 10 lb bubble you didn't need will make diving much easier. But remember -- that full Al80 is about 2 lbs negative, which probably counters the intrinsic lift from your BC. When it's empty, that tank will be +4, so you do need to put a little weight on to be able to hold a shallow stop at the end of your dive.

My normal exposure suit is a 3/2 full and I made the switch recently to the steel lp72s.... I think I might still be negative... I will confirm this weekend at the lake... I am going to do my weighting with both an AL80 in my 3/2 and also with my lp72s...(both pre and post dive weight checks). With the AL80 and 3/2 I think 6# should be more than enough... not sure about the LP72.... I will post up after the weekend... going to camp at the quarry. (doing the lake dives for my AOW...)

with only a rash guard, swim trunks, BC (new, have about 10 dives on it.), and an AL80 (full), and mask, fins, etc.... I am negatively buoyant.... I guess that 10# I was using (Based on previous dives and a different/rental BC) was WAY too much... and this was in a salt water pool too.... :-D

It's promising but not really definitive.

Most salt water pools are far from ocean salinity so you are still likely to need to do most of the salt water compensation. It''s at the end of the dive when your cylinder is light that you can define your needed weight. Any other changes, including the BC can make a significant difference.

Best bet is to be doing real world weight checks until things stabilize. More here.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom