Peacock Springs renamed for Wes Skiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pretty funny.

Obviously the "diving community" includes a lot more than just those who attend DEMA. (Even with record attendence levels that woudl limit the diving community to about 15,000.) Or maybe you mean all the people who support and provide the business and income from those who will attend DEMA don't really count as the "diving community".
Mea culpa. I'll concede that I should have used industry instead of community. I apologize for any ill will that this might have caused. I, for one, would have loved to be there. I appreciated the turn out by the Dive Industry at Wes' memorial and I am certain that many would have loved to turn out for this. Again, I apologize for any slight that might be inferred by this.

I'm happy for the change. I'll still call Peacock "Peacock", but I think Wes did alot for cave diving, and I have no problem with the change.

Last edited:
edited to say absolutely nothing

Last edited:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 16, 2010

PEACOCK SPRINGS STATE PARK RENAMED FOR WES SKILES
~Special event commemorates new park name honoring world-class explorer, diver, cinematographer and photographer~

LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Florida State Parks hosted a special naming event today at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak to honor the late world-class explorer, diver, cinematographer and photographer Wes Skiles. The park will now be known as Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park.

“Wes Skiles’ passion for Florida’s environment was evident in his dedication to portraying the wonders of Florida through his masterful imagery,” said DEP Secretary Mimi A. Drew. “Knowing Wes as I did, I’m sure he would be thrilled to have one of his favorite places named after him where it will be a reminder of his lasting contribution to Florida’s environment.”

During today’s event, more than 50 friends, family members and other guests witnessed the unveiling of a new park sign by the Skiles family designating the park after his namesake. Speakers included DEP Secretary Mimi A. Drew, former coordinator of the Florida Springs Taskforce Jim Stevenson and Wes Skiles’ brother Jim Skiles. The event was a touching occasion as Skiles’ commitment to Florida’s environment, passion for Florida’s imagery and love of state parks were recounted.

“We are honored to leave a legacy for Mr. Skiles in the state park system”, said Florida State Parks Director Donald Forgione. “There is no better place to do so than at Peacock Springs, where the avid diver, cave explorer and springs advocate contributed so much of his time and expertise.”

Skiles passed away earlier this year while on a diving assignment off the east coast of Florida. He was a great proponent of the protection and preservation of Florida’s water resources, particularly springs and nature-based recreation.

“The Skiles family is greatly honored knowing that Wes’s relentless work in creating awareness of our springs will be remembered by future generations. Wes understood that the abundance of fresh, clean water was critical to a healthy community, environment and economy,” said Jim Skiles. “His love of photography and cave diving became his passion when he realized Florida Springs and her aquifer were our most important resource. Wes referred to Peacock as the heart of cave diving with its many passages. Today, the Skiles family and friends celebrate that the heart and soul of cave diving will be remembered in Florida history.”

The Peacock Springs cave system represents one of the most extensively mapped cave systems in the continental United States and one of the longest in Florida. Skiles’ company, Karst Environmental Services, spent hours documenting the cave systems at Peacock Springs. One notable achievement was Skiles’ discovery that Bonnet Spring has the only entrance to a separate cave system that may be hydrologically linked to the Peacock system via smaller conduits. Skiles also made major contributions to the understanding and awareness of the Floridan aquifer and its impact for springs and water resources in the state.

"Wes did more to educate Floridians about the plight of Florida's springs than anyone else,” said Jim Stevenson. “His legacy is his outstanding films, beginning with Polluting the Fountain of Youth in 1998 that has been aired often on PBS and Waters Journey: Hidden Rivers that was produced in 2003 at the request of the Florida Springs Task Force."

About Florida State Parks
Created in 1935 by the Florida Legislature, the Florida State Park system has grown from eight to 160 parks in the last 75 years. Today, the Florida Park Service manages more than 700,000 acres of Florida’s natural environment, including 100 miles of beaches, eight National Historic Landmarks and 39 sites on the National Register of Historic Places. Florida State Parks has been recognized by the National Recreation and Park Association as the nation’s first and only two-time Gold Medal winner for the nation’s best park service. For more information about Florida’s state parks, visit Welcome to Florida State Parks.

Thanks for the update.
Had to do a search to find what the official name of the park is (since is twas omitted in the press release...)
Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park
Welcome to Florida State Parks

:whistling:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 16, 2010

PEACOCK SPRINGS STATE PARK RENAMED FOR WES SKILES
~Special event commemorates new park name honoring world-class explorer, diver, cinematographer and photographer~

LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Florida State Parks hosted a special naming event today at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak to honor the late world-class explorer, diver, cinematographer and photographer Wes Skiles. The park will now be known as Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park.

“Wes Skiles’ passion for Florida’s environment was evident in his dedication to portraying the wonders of Florida through his masterful imagery,” said DEP Secretary Mimi A. Drew. “Knowing Wes as I did, I’m sure he would be thrilled to have one of his favorite places named after him where it will be a reminder of his lasting contribution to Florida’s environment.”

Opps.. :D I musta read that press release 4 times and never saw it...:doh:

Happens to everybody.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom