Peacock Springs renamed for Wes Skiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope I haven't ruined any kind of surprise - sorry if I did. The e-mail I posted was a mass e-mail sent out to the general public, so I didn't have any reason to think it was a secret. I don't have any other specific knowledge about this event.

An announcement went out in the Lake City newspaper which has made this more of a public event. I think it originally started out as a small affair with the family,but with media annoucements that has changed. No problem,the more the merrier.

Most of the diving community will be in Las Vegas for DEMA. I am flying out on Tuesday.

I thought renaming of public land or facilities was typically done by an act of the legislature. Some well-meaning group goes to their most approachable legislator, does a sell job on him, and maybe a handful of others to build a base of support. No one wants to be a wet blanket, so when the bill is introduced, it passes on a voice vote. Generally it is non-controversial and good PR for all involved. Every once in a while, it turns out there is a poop bomb hidden in these well-meaning actions.

Rarely is broader public involvement sought - the legislative process is supposedly open, and the initial request typically comes from a group that claims to represent relevant parties.

I thought renaming of public land or facilities was typically done by an act of the legislature. Some well-meaning group goes to their most approachable legislator, does a sell job on him, and maybe a handful of others to build a base of support. No one wants to be a wet blanket, so when the bill is introduced, it passes on a voice vote. Generally it is non-controversial and good PR for all involved. Every once in a while, it turns out there is a poop bomb hidden in these well-meaning actions.

Rarely is broader public involvement sought - the legislative process is supposedly open, and the initial request typically comes from a group that claims to represent relevant parties.

Would that not only be the case when the property is Crown land (no sense changing it now but sorry for the Canadian reference here)? Is Peacock Spring's land owned by the gooberment or is it private?

Last edited:
I thought renaming of public land or facilities was typically done by an act of the legislature.
This is definitely a State Park and I know that it's pretty common to name a state park after a celebrity like this. What's not obvious is if this means they will rename the actual Springs or just the park.

Would that not only be the case when the property is Crown land? Is Peacock Spring's land owned by the gooberment or is it private?

It seems that the USA took care of the concept of "Crown Land" a couple hundred years ago. :eyebrow:

Expanding on what NetDoc said, if it is owned by Florida, the Florida legislature would be the body to rename it. If it were a Federal facility (like a National Park, National Forest, or a Federal Office Building) then Congress would have to pass the act to rename it. Or, if it were a city or other municipality, the decsion would be at that level.

Not sure how it works in the frozen land to the north - Does the Queen have to agree?:D

This is definitely a State Park and I know that it's pretty common to name a state park after a celebrity like this. What's not obvious is if this means they will rename the actual Springs or just the park.

I was read that it would probably be named Wes Skiles Peacock Spring State Park. Has a good ring to it.

Most of the diving community will be in Las Vegas for DEMA. I am flying out on Tuesday.
That's pretty funny.

Obviously the "diving community" includes a lot more than just those who attend DEMA. (Even with record attendence levels that woudl limit the diving community to about 15,000.) Or maybe you mean all the people who support and provide the business and income from those who will attend DEMA don't really count as the "diving community".

That's probably not what you meant nor what you uintended, but it suggests that some of the dive community matter more than others.

Oddly enough thats the same message that is conveyed when a few well intentioned people do things like change park names too soon in the wake of someone's death without public input or comment.

That's pretty funny.

Obviously the "diving community" includes a lot more than just those who attend DEMA. (Even with record attendence levels that woudl limit the diving community to about 15,000.) Or maybe you mean all the people who support and provide the business and income from those who will attend DEMA don't really count as the "diving community".

That's probably not what you meant nor what you uintended, but it suggests that some of the dive community matter more than others.

Oddly enough thats the same message that is conveyed when a few well intentioned people do things like change park names too soon in the wake of someone's death without public input or comment.

I would like to know why you think you and I and others who have really done no substantial contributions to these springs should have a say so. I know people like you and I promote the springs and preach conservation on boards but thats really insignificant as to what Wes did. Also I really dont see where anyone outside of Florida should have any say at all on the matter.

Not sure how it works in the frozen land to the north - Does the Queen have to agree?:D

Sorry for the Canuck reference :wink:. I'll just send the Queen a FaceBook message now that she is on FB :thumb:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom