Peacock Springs renamed for Wes Skiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got the e-mail below from FDEP and thought I would pass it along. This seems like a very nice and well-deserved tribute.

>>>>>>
CALENDAR ANNOUNCEMENT: November 5, 2010
Kristin Lock, (850) 245-2112

PEACOCK SPRINGS STATE PARK TO HOST SPECIAL NAMING EVENT
~New state park name will honor the late Wes Skiles~

LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Florida Park Service will host a special naming event at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak on Tuesday, November 16, at 11:00 a.m.

Peacock Springs State Park will be renamed in honor of Wes Skiles, world-class explorer, cinematographer and photographer, who passed away earlier this year. Skiles’ legacy includes a passion for the protection Florida’s springs, cave exploration, a vast understanding of the Floridan aquifer and superb educational and adventurous science films.

For more information on Florida’s state parks, visit Welcome to Florida State Parks

This event will take place:

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
11:00 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park
Park Entrance Located on 180th Street
Off of State Road 51
Live Oak, Florida
(386) 362-2746

Last edited:
Wow, now I'll never get to dive Peacock . . .

Seriously, though, it's a deserved honor.

Very nice way to honor Wes.

Wow. Awesome.

Is the new name a secret until the ceremony?

I imagine the name of the Park will change, Lynn, not the names of the springs or sinks.

In any event, that's a great way to keep a razor focus on Florida's aquifer.

Geez...I hate to pee in the punch, but naming it after Wes just because he died does not make much sense. There are other deceased cave divers with more connection to Peacock than Wes Skyles. No disrepect intended, but it's a very odd choice

What did Sheck Exley do to eliminate himself from this particular honor, especially given his inital survey efforts?

Geez...I hate to pee in the punch, but naming it after Wes just because he died does not make much sense. There are other deceased cave divers with more connection to Peacock than Wes Skyles. No disrepect intended, but it's a very odd choice

What did Sheck Exley do to eliminate himself from this particular honor, especially given his inital survey efforts?

I for one thinks Shek deserves so much credit and a cave named after him for all the lives his work probably saved is a good honor. But NOBODY has done moe for the Springs in general than Wes did. This goes beyond cave diving, maybe why your opinion on the matter wasn't asked. Wes was devoted to the aquifer and all the springs that we enjoy. Good for you Wes!!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom